Fast Towncar? Possible?

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

Hey all,

I'm new to this list and hope you can all bear with me while I ask a bunch of questions. I'm seriously considering a towncar purchase and I'm looking for help and direction on making it perform (Oxymoron? maybe..maybe not).

I'm looking at the early to mid 90's versions, which I have always loved. From research I've seen that most of them come with the 4.6 mod V8. Was this the engine that ended up in the later Mustangs? or not? Is there a version of the TownCar that has the same basic 5.0 engine used in the Mustang? The reason I ask is that I'm looking to build the motor beyond stock HP - and I want to make sure that there are aftermarket parts available. I'm assuming that if its based on the same block as the Mustang that getting parts would be pretty easy.

Or - does anyone know of any specific bulleting boards or list servers dedicated to hopping up towncars? (And no I'm not crazy)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve C.
96 Chevy Impala SS
95 Ford Explorer
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
92 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
70 Dodge Charger R/T

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

The last year for the 302 (5.0L) in a Towncar was '90. The 302 was multiport FI with the Speed Density system (batch firing the injectors). They did not have the MAF (Mass Air Flow) setup on them. I believe Mustangs may have had MAF on the 302's before they stopped using 302's. I think some of those Mustang 302's had roller lifters, maybe roller rockers, etc., so heads may be different vs. Towncar.

1991-on Towncar used the new modular SOHC 4.6L. In say, '94, the 4.6L in the Towncar was 210 HP. The DOHC 4.6L Cobra motor was NOT available in the Towncar! Here again, the 4.6L blocks are probably the same, but some of the FI setup, heads, crank, cam are probably different. Somethings different, as the Mustang is higher HP. These cars are quite a bit heavier than a Mustang, so some low-end torque is going to be important here, not just high HP at some screaming RPM's.

------------------
MarkIII

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

There is a tuner shop out in California that is putting the supercharged and intercooled engine out of the F150 truck into new Towncars (380HP!!) I read a short article in one of the auto mags not too long ago. I would think that there would be plenty of space under the hood on the Towncar for any of the hot rod parts available for the Mustang and there are tons available.

------------------
'64 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

Try this for great ways to spend your hard earned money.
http://www.corral.net/

------------------
'64 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

You may also want to browse www.kennybrown.com Click link to old webpage. This company offers mods for certain Ford products, as well as completed performance cars. They do a nasty Crown Vic, so I assume that their supercharger kits apply to 4.6 Town Cars.

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by Guest »

You basicly want to build-up a T/C to perform like your Chevy S/S. The above thread lists web sites to contact. It seems that you are looking to make something unique. As you scan these sites your realize that it doe's not come cheap. Guess one question to ask is as you need alot of low end torque whether to base engine upgrades on a 5.0 or a 4.6. There are stroker kits available for both engines. Another question do you want the reliability of a normally aspirated engine or is the T/C going to be a weekend toy and want to go a little wild, i.e NOS, supercharging, etc.

blkmk69
mac-shack
Occasional Visitor

Fast Towncar? Possible?

Post by mac-shack »

There is a speed shop in El Cajon or La Mesa Calif that specializes in Mustang mods. I hear they also have some things that will apply to the 302/5.0L engine across the board. So this would be a place to check. Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to find the name of the place.

I own an '88 Town Car which has been a little underpowered until I made some modest changes: New over-size dual exhaust; K&N air filter, bumped timing to 12 degrees BTDC; and installed an MSD Blaster coil.

Its still not a hot-rod, but the car is faster and gets a couple more miles to gallon. Leon

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”