Remotely controlled hiden Radio

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

James MacKenzie
Occasional Visitor

Post by James MacKenzie »

If you look into my past posts about Custom Auto Sound's "secret audio" radio, you'll see I had quite a bit of trouble with it. The 4 channels never worked properly. The remote control is extremely cheap feeling. When the radio was installed in the trunk, the remote didn't work properly. When the installers moved it under the dash near the glove box, it was better. I returned the entire thing, including 6 cd changer for an 80% refund.

I'm now looking at a small Pioneer CD with a radio controlled remote that will fit in the glove box.
chrichard99
Occasional Visitor

Post by chrichard99 »

Just read an article about a radio that can be mounted in your trunk or under your seat but is controlled buy a radio remote control. The units power is 100 watts and you can get a 6-disc changer with it. The company is Custom Autosound out of Anaheim, Ca. Phone number is(714)535-1091.
James MacKenzie
Occasional Visitor

I guess I should clarify that we're talking about the same product. I ordered my radio from Sound Move in Indiana (saw the ad in hemmings) but it comes from Custom Auto Sound in California. That's where I returned it.

I will tell you that their customer service people were very responsive and helpful about the return.

I can't figure out why Sony, Jensen or Blaupunkt don't build a hidden radio with an RF remote. You'd think there would be enough of a market to make it profitable...
chrichard99
Occasional Visitor

Post by chrichard99 »

Thanks for the info James. The CD changer that you mentioned is it only a changer or does it have its own AM./FM. RF receiver? What is the name of the unit, and who cares it?
<hasse>

Post by <hasse> »

You can mount a«movable cd, o md or mp3 player in the glove place from there low signal to poweramp in the trunk and
also it«s removable when you want
James MacKenzie
Occasional Visitor

Custom Auto Sound makes a 6 CD changer, which I bought. It was skipping like crazy, but it wasn't installed properly. Once we fixed that, it worked OK.

Two things-- It was hard to install in the trunk (bolted right into the floor above the wheel well. And it took up LOTS of usable trunk space.

Also-- they sell a Sony CD player to go with their hidden radio which is probably much better. My problems were all with the radio itself and the remote, which were cheaply made and didn't work properly. I spent $495 for Radio, remote and CD player and a lot more to install and it was totally unsatisfactory. I suppose if the radio had worked on all four channels, I might have kept it.

There is a small (5+ inches deep) Pioneer AMFM CD player with a radio remote I'm going to try to install in the glove box. Have to go to Baker's Auto today to retrieve the car after they did a number of repairs that no one in NY could seem to figure out.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”