1960's Lincoln Hearses

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jes Sellers

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by Jes Sellers »

I've been wondering whether Lincoln Continental Hearses were ever made in the 1960's. I am a long-time member of LCOC and can't recall ever reading about or seeing any pictures of Lincoln hearses of the 1960's. Does anyone out there own one?
Danny K
Occasional Visitor

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by Danny K »

There is a funeral car/hearse repair & resto shop on the southside of Chicago. Drive past it every work day and noticed '70's Lincoln hearse's and flower cars. The shop deals with alot of southern states funeral customers. He ships used funeral cars. He did mention he sees alot of '60's & '70's sedans/limos at the funeral homes throut Miss. & Alabama. I'll try and catch him and ask about the '60's. Might be interesting......
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by jsanford »

I had seen the pic but could not remember where. Now I remember it is on the Classic Lincolns site. Here is the link:
http://www.classiclincolns.com/sbt/sbt2.html

Jeremy
Jes Sellers

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by Jes Sellers »

Hey Jeremy,
Thanks for posting the website with a picture of the 1963 Continental Hearse with a glass-rear section. Wow, I have never seen anything like it! I live in Cleveland, Ohio so I was surprised to see that it was constructed by the 'Continental Memorial Coach Sales, Inc. of Cleveland'. I will try to find some additonal history on this company to see if there is enough information for a future Continental Comments article. Thanks!
Jester
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by Willard E. Anderson »

Hello Paul,

My reaction was the same as your second sentence!

Sincerely, Willard.
PaulC
Frequent Contributor

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by PaulC »

I bet that car would drum up quite a bit of business if driven near a group of Lincoln purists!

Yecch!
hhmetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by hhmetal »

Danny K
Occasional Visitor

1960's Lincoln Hearses

Post by Danny K »

Finally made it to the shop. It's name is James' Professional Car/sales & service. Phone number 773-684-2882. Mr. James was out to lunch, but a mechanic on premise does recall seeing late 70's and 80's Lincoln hearses at the shop.No 60's though, but the owner could best answer that question. I'll try and meet him and keep all posted.
I did see a Caddy flower car from late 80's in his lot. The white Lincoln hearse headed to Miss., last summer, was actually converted to an ambulance by a coach builder and pressed back into service by a funeral home.
drcliff
Occasional Visitor

here's a 1964 lincoln hearse

Post by drcliff »

this guy sent me these nifty pics, so i made a page on my site.
kooky, no?
drcliff
Occasional Visitor

man, i'm dumb sometimes...

Post by drcliff »

W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

A guy in New Jersey has a '59 Flower Car that I've visited (which is a rare and unusual form of hearse, for those who don't know). According to him, the guy he bought it from said it was one of three '59's ordered for a funeral home in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. The other two were a standard hearse and a limousine. The conversion company is unknown and the whereabouts of the other two vehicles is unknown as well.
mjabbasi
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mjabbasi »

That '64 looks horrible. Almost an insult to the name of the car and company.
Moin Abbasi
1961 T-Bird Convertible (Montecarlo Red)
1962 LC Sedan (Nocturne Blue)
1963 LC Convertible (Premier Yellow)
BrianOSU2000
Frequent Contributor

Post by BrianOSU2000 »

Being in the Funeral Business, I have seen pictures of that dreadful 60-something that has been described previously.

Lincoln hearses date back to the 1920's (Knightstown). Henny Motor Company reportedly built at least one Cosmopolitan Hearse in the 50's in addition to their limos on Lincoln and Packard Chassis.

One unusual hearse I know of was the one built for the exclusive use of Mrs. Henry Ford when she died in 1971 or 72 (I think). This car was reputedly built by Hess and Eisenhardt of Cincinnati in a record 36 hours from Continental to hearse as the funeral home used by the Ford Family had Cadillacs in their livery.

AHA built some nice looking and HUGE Lincoln coaches in the late 70's, but it was not until Sayers & Scovill/Superior (now owned by Accubuilt) came out with a Town Car based coach in the mid-80's that Lincolns actually caught on and became pretty popular.

The firm I worked for at the time had two 1986 Superior Town Cars which were very nice looking coaches. Eagle Coach came along in the late 80's as a sort of spin off of Hess and Eisenhardt who had built the Sayers & Scovill cars previously before selling out to Superior. Also in the late 80's, Collins Inc. Built the Miller-Meteor "Paramount" which was reputedly the largest coach available at the time. (Miller-Meteor is also now part of Accubuilt).

By the mid-1990's Lincolns were gaining prominence in the Funeral Industry as coaches and were built by about every major nameplate. S&S/Superior actually built the most varieties including the "Park Hill" and "Park Lane" which were commercial glass, using the taller, square side glass and custom windshield as opposed to the S&S Majestic and Superior Diplomat which used the Lincoln front doors and windshield. Federal Coach Company (an off shoot of the old Cotner-Bevington of Ft. Smith Arkansas) and Krystal also made their presence known in the 90's.

Today Lincoln has a roughly 35 percent share of the hearse market according to some industry numbers and as high as 70 percent of the six door "Pullman" limousines used in the industry. The Lincoln coachbuilders are under the nameplates of:

Accubuilt of Lima Ohio
Sayers & Scovill or S&S (America's oldest continuous coach builder)
Superior
Eureka (The oldest hearse nameplate although not in continuous production)
Miller-Meteor

Eagle Coach of Cincinnati (Amelia)
Eagle Ultimate and Ultimate Elite

Federal Coach

I am not sure if Krystal is still in business as I have not seen any of their ads recently.
My Lincoln "Fleet"
2001 Lincoln Continental
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier Series
1978 Continental Mark V
Barry Norman
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Barry Norman »

I saw aand took pictures of the 59 flower car in Hershey about 25 years ago. As soon as I find them, I will post.
57 Premier conv
58 MK III conv
60 MK V conv
61 Continental conv
66 Continental conv
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

Barry Norman wrote:I saw aand took pictures of the 59 flower car in Hershey about 25 years ago. As soon as I find them, I will post.
Interesting. I'd very much like to see.