Wanted. Pitman arm for 73 mark iv

Place your messages for parts or cars wanted in this forum. If you have something to sell, you may want to see if someone is already looking for it here. If you find what you needed, please post a reply to the original message that you got it. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Wanted. Pitman arm for 73 mark iv

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Cross reference:
INTERCHANGE:

Autospecialty: 09-81505
TRW Steering and Suspension Parts: 18776
Perfect Circle: 268-1582
NAPA: 268-1582
Raybestos Brakes: 445-1009
ACDelco: 45C0009
Centric Parts: 620.65517
Elgin: 8776K
Autospecialty: 981505
Barcap: B5-036
Barcap: B5-049
Ford: D2OZ-3590B
Ford: D5OA3590B
Ford: D5OZ-3590B
Ford: D5OZ3590A
Ford: D6OZ-3590B
Ford: D7OZ-3590A
Mcquay-Norris: FA957
Duralast: FA957
Duralast: FC957
Maremont: IA-8776
Unimotive: IA-8776
Falcon Steering Systems: K8217
Mevotech: MS40963
Midas: PA1020
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

hotrod429 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm
TonyC wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:33 pm I'm actually surprised the Pitman arm caused trouble for that model. I'm used to seeing it just slid onto idiot-proof splines on the box's sector shaft and secured by a nut, no ball joints or anything else weird involved; stuff like that usually is done with the center links, like the aftermarket clap-door links (which was a major improvement over the originals, but I digress).

On the other hand, my past experience with '73 Mark IVs never involved any of the steering linkage.

---Tony

This car has a few hundred thousand miles lol

I rebuilt the front steering components, but did not replace the pitman arm at that time as I would shortly be moving across country.

But since now the steering gear box is a bit leakier, and I’ll be pulling it anyway, I will be replacing the pitman arm. Not only can I grab it at the ball joint and wiggle it, I can turn the steering wheel from about 10 to about 2 before the wheels do anything.

Otherwise, the car tracks straight and solid down the highway with “some” shimmy I’m sure is due the pitman arm, as the steering wheel does not shake.

I’ll soon be driving this 100+ miles a day to my day job, as gasoline is cheaper than diesel.

So I need it to be solid haha
Where are you at? Here in the DFW super unleaded is the same price as diesel! And what diesel are you driving? I can't imagine driving a 460 Ford tank with no OD to be Cheaper then driving anything late model that distance daily!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 pm
hotrod429 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm
TonyC wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:33 pm I'm actually surprised the Pitman arm caused trouble for that model. I'm used to seeing it just slid onto idiot-proof splines on the box's sector shaft and secured by a nut, no ball joints or anything else weird involved; stuff like that usually is done with the center links, like the aftermarket clap-door links (which was a major improvement over the originals, but I digress).

On the other hand, my past experience with '73 Mark IVs never involved any of the steering linkage.

---Tony

This car has a few hundred thousand miles lol

I rebuilt the front steering components, but did not replace the pitman arm at that time as I would shortly be moving across country.

But since now the steering gear box is a bit leakier, and I’ll be pulling it anyway, I will be replacing the pitman arm. Not only can I grab it at the ball joint and wiggle it, I can turn the steering wheel from about 10 to about 2 before the wheels do anything.

Otherwise, the car tracks straight and solid down the highway with “some” shimmy I’m sure is due the pitman arm, as the steering wheel does not shake.

I’ll soon be driving this 100+ miles a day to my day job, as gasoline is cheaper than diesel.

So I need it to be solid haha
Where are you at? Here in the DFW super unleaded is the same price as diesel! And what diesel are you driving? I can't imagine driving a 460 Ford tank with no OD to be Cheaper then driving anything late model that distance daily!
I’m in the Midwest.

Diesel here is $3.99-$4.19/gal and my Cummins is getting 15mpg. I do this twice a week, Monday morning, and again Wednesday afternoon. Then sometimes Friday afternoon.
IMG_3983.jpeg
After this carb swap, I’m getting about 13mpg. There’s a place by work that sells premium for $3.50-$3.60/gal.

If my math is correct, my fuel bill will go from $240-$250 a week to about $160-$170.

I know not a lot, but that’s $300/month. That’s one weeks worth of fuel back in my pocket.
1973 MK IV. Finally back on the road :)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Then yes, I do strongly advocate replacing that Pitman arm. I can sort of relate to your situation; my car's idler arm needed replacing as well, but as I was very close to a big move the most I could do was buy the new one and wait for a later time to install it. Finally did that a couple weeks ago. The old one wasn't really all that loose, but its boot was so badly worn it would not hold grease; so I decided to take a preventative action.

Hopefully it will be an easy swap. I don't know about the Mark IV, but my car's Pitman arm is torqued down to the gearbox at about 200 ft.-lbs., maybe 250.

I think that, if your math is accurate, that will be a saving. I am famous (or infamous, depending on whom you ask) for using Frankenstein as my sole means of motorized conveyance for 20 years, until this past turn-of month. I know gas bills as well as anyone, and how to live with them. Besides, the '73 460 is not built for premium octane; that ended after '71. So, that means even more savings by using a lower octane, like 89. You should not need 92 unless the engine has such a bad internal carbon buildup that it causes knocking.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, affectionately dubbed "Trigger"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

So, no luck or did OP give up?
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

One never knows. Maybe he got enough information. There's someone else on here wondering about a radiator and an electric fan asking questions that are beyond me, but somebody should know. Wayne
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:19 am So, no luck or did OP give up?
I “think” I found one in Cincinnati. It’s being delivered today or tomorrow, but didn’t want to post anything just yet incase it’s the wrong one and I’m still in need.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Sounds like a plan. Wayne
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Part number looks right.

Part looks right (I think).

It’s a USA Moog. So hopefully it’s good. It’s DEFINITELY better than what’s on there.

$135 to my door. Not bad I don’t think.

Thank you all for the help!!!!!!!

IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_4119.jpeg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

May I ask where you sourced it?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

Lee wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:17 pm May I ask where you sourced it?
Messaged a guy parting out a mark iv on Facebook marketplace. I was gonna settle for used/good.

He said not worth it, checked his warehouse, and he had none.

But he gave me a number to a place he said had it. I called, they said they had it, I gave my credit card info and my shipping address and prayed it showed up lmao

I think the guy on the phone said “green sales”. My cell reception was crap, and it’s a surprise we made it happen.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

When you mentioned Cincinnati, I figured it might be Green Sales. They've got a corner on a lot of NOS and hard to find parts.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

hotrod429 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:34 pm

I’m in the Midwest.

Diesel here is $3.99-$4.19/gal and my Cummins is getting 15mpg. I do this twice a week, Monday morning, and again Wednesday afternoon. Then sometimes Friday afternoon.
IMG_3983.jpeg

After this carb swap, I’m getting about 13mpg. There’s a place by work that sells premium for $3.50-$3.60/gal.

If my math is correct, my fuel bill will go from $240-$250 a week to about $160-$170.

I know not a lot, but that’s $300/month. That’s one weeks worth of fuel back in my pocket.
Today I paid $2.99 for regular unleaded and saw that diesel is currently sitting at $3.19. I think super is sitting at $3.3x but I haven't had to purchase any in a minute!

Does your lincoln have the D3VE head? If so couldn't you just run normal unleaded since it's a low compression open chamber head?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I mentioned that on my last post; he won't need the hi-oc stuff, especially with the extortionist prices it goes for. His 460 is the low-compression type, unless he or a prior owner did a high-compression swap in the past.

In fact, even I don't pay those extortionist prices for premium. I learned that a $3.74 bottle of Gumout octane booster, added to a tankful of 87-octane, does the same job as hi-oc gas for Frankenstein, and for anywhere from $6 to $12 less.

But, back to main topic, I'm glad Hotrod got a good Pitman arm for a relatively good deal!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, affectionately dubbed "Trigger"
hotrod429
Lincoln Maniac

Post by hotrod429 »

TonyC wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:08 am I mentioned that on my last post; he won't need the hi-oc stuff, especially with the extortionist prices it goes for. His 460 is the low-compression type, unless he or a prior owner did a high-compression swap in the past.

In fact, even I don't pay those extortionist prices for premium. I learned that a $3.74 bottle of Gumout octane booster, added to a tankful of 87-octane, does the same job as hi-oc gas for Frankenstein, and for anywhere from $6 to $12 less.

But, back to main topic, I'm glad Hotrod got a good Pitman arm for a relatively good deal!

---Tony
The engine is a 1970 429 with D3Ve heads (had to pass California emissions at the time of swap and the D0VE heads failed visual inspection=older engine swapped into the car. Any engine swaps must be same year or newer).