Input From San Antonio Forum Members on Upholstery Shops

Place your messages for parts or cars wanted in this forum. If you have something to sell, you may want to see if someone is already looking for it here. If you find what you needed, please post a reply to the original message that you got it. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Input From San Antonio Forum Members on Upholstery Shops

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

This is an unusual "wanted" post, yes, but I really do want input from S.A. Forum members on which upholstery shops in the city are the most trustworthy. After all these years, I'm ready to commit to a total overhaul of Frankenstein's upholstery. I also have new green leather skins for the seats, so they won't have that issue. Anybody know which shop or shops I should hire? I know there are a bunch here, and I also know that not all of them are on the level.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, affectionately dubbed "Trigger"
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Input From San Antonio Forum Members on Upholstery Shops

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Pena Brothers Upholstery did the interior in my 55 in 2008. They are a really good shop. They are inside 410 off Bandera Rd.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Thank you for that! :smt006 I'll look them up and probably pay them a visit very soon, after I finish getting my inherited car registered.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

My buddy is about to take a really big money fastback Mustang to Sew it Seams Custom Upholstery in New Braunfels. Guys work is INSANE!

https://www.instagram.com/sewitseamscus ... I0OA%3D%3D
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Tony is getting Frankenstein reupholstered?!?

I think that’s one of the seven signs…
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I know, it's almost Biblical, isn't it? And here I am anointing my seats with mink oil. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:lol: Yes, I'm actually building up for it now, so any reliable prospect within driving distance is welcome. I'm also building up for the A/C restoration; once I get the Mustang officially registered I'm going to focus on finding a receiver-dryer fitted with R-134a-compatible lining (as I do not know whether the one I have is compatible or not, no warning labels of any kind).

So, this makes two prospects to check into! :dance:

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Tony,

Classic Auto Air has a facility in Coppell, Tx. They will rebuild it for you with 132a or R-12 compliant bag. Their facility in Florida rebuilt my system. They also have the correct expansion valve for a '66...

https://www.classicautoair.com/contact-us/
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

O wow, that's only a 5-hour drive for me! That's doable if I need to do that. I should clarify myself on that topic, though: I'm not 100% sure whether the receiver-dryer I bought seven years ago needs to be converted or not. There are no warnings or caveats on the piece itself or the sales slip, stating to use or avoid anything specific; so I have to confirm that. All I've seen on the receiver is one decal with "TH-9 desiccant" on it, which tells me what type of desiccant is in there; but as I don't know the different types I don't know the significance of that info. If it turns out to be compatible with the current stuff, and the condenser and compressor also are compatible, then there really isn't anything stopping me from putting everything together and getting the system charged up and working again...save for the humidity and my laziness.

I know a couple of techs on the staff of the auto-skill center located in The Hood (called Fort Cavazos now) who may be able to tell me for sure.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tony is that possibly “XH-9”? If so, that means the desiccant is compatible with both R-12 and 134.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 91#p416291
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Lee,

'Fraid not; below is the decal on this dryer.

---Tony
Attachments
New Receiver Label
New Receiver Label
"Question Authority!"

RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Call Classic Auto Air. They should be able to tell you over the phone.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)