1965 Tilt Column Spring Attachment

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Tmiller6

1965 Tilt Column Spring Attachment

Post by Tmiller6 »

Looking at the Forum, I didn't spot any threads describing how to attach and detach the spring on the tilt column in my car. It actually took me several tries where I had to drop the column again in order to reattach the top of the spring. When I finally figured out this method and I thought I should document it for the next guy.

What finally worked was a piece of steel welding rod. I crossed the ends in my vise and twisted the ends together to make a loop. I know the manual says to reattach the spring after all brackets are in place but this way was more photogenic. Since I had my seat out, I had plenty of room for leverage.
Spring Big Picture.JPG
I slipped the end of my wire loop over the spring eye and put a few wood shims under the brake pedal. By pressing down on the wood, I stretched the spring sufficiently to install it. The loop was then removed off the spring and I saved it for my next weld job.
Spring Close.JPG
I continue to work on the car; I was able to restore the solenoid in my clock and installed a quick release battery clamp so that won't happen again.

Regards,
Tom Miller
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1965 Tilt Column Spring Attachment

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”