1962 Conv Under Body Braces

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

minipete
Occasional Visitor

1962 Conv Under Body Braces

Post by minipete »

After seeing these braces in photos on BAT I realised my car didn't have them. The holes were there ready but the car didn't have them.

There are 2 that go diagonally from the crossmember to the body and another thicker one that goes across just aft of the trans pan.

After doing more research online it seems like many Lincolns do not have them.

Were these an aftermarket thing or do people just just leave them off after a rebuild?

The ones in the photo are ones I made as I figured you can't have too many braces.
Attachments
underbody braces fitted.jpg
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1962 Conv Under Body Braces

Post by papawayne »

Not with a convertible, you can't have enough braces, but those don't look original to me. Leave them there. Exhaust work might be a challenge, but always is anyway. Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I couldn’t tell from your question if you were aware that those braces are convertible-only items, but they are.

Does yours also have the extra thinner diagonal braces in the engine compartment? It should. Somebody could have left those off as well.
Attachments
IMG_0740.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As stated there are four extra braces on convertibles, the one by the transmission is used on all body types. There is no reason to remove them for engine work, they were sometimes damaged by running over things, or just lost during restoration.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
minipete
Occasional Visitor

Post by minipete »

Lee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:19 am I couldn’t tell from your question if you were aware that those braces are convertible-only items, but they are.

Does yours also have the extra thinner diagonal braces in the engine compartment? It should. Somebody could have left those off as well.
Thanks to all for the responses.

I didn't know they were conv only. I had seen the one below the trans on sedans but not the diagonal ones.

My car does have the adjustable braces in the engine bay.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”