All The Way With LBJ

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

All The Way With LBJ

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6027 ... r-auction/

I saw this online and figured I would share.

Car was sold for $130k! Super cool piece of history!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: All The Way With LBJ

Post by Lee »

I was surprised to see that the owner was John "Bugsy" Lawlor. That brought back a flood of memories of listening to Car Talk every Saturday morning for years and years. I loved those guys. Their employer, not so much.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

A relative bargain. That car looked to be in exceptional condition, at least cosmetically.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Lee, those two guys were great. The one who lives still is in the Saturday or Sunday paper usually. As I remember, they tried their darndest to get women out of SUV's. I don't think there's an automobile on the road that isn't a SUV. Even the cops on the road are in them. They must depend more on lights and siren. Neither of them would like us, we fall in love with cars. A definite no no when it comes to repairs, usually explained to the fairer sex. Wayne
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

"All the way with LBJ" was a good campaign slogan. That of his opponent (Barry Goldwater) was "In your heart, you know he's right."
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I liked LBJ, but then again, I liked Reagan too. Reagan had a great speech writer. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

This could get nasty, but here's my historical input: Goldwater was right. Johnson was a crook and a doof, with the blood of 58,000 military service members on his hands...and he knew it, which was why he bowed out of the '68 election.

A neighbor of my grand back in the day was religiously committed to Johnson in '64. A couple years later, after her son died in 'Nam, she admitted to my grand that she was wrong.

But, anyway...
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Here is the BaT listing of the car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965- ... nental-47/

I thought it was interesting that the listing says the trunk lid has "bubbles". The vehicle looks like it spent its entire life indoors so you would figure the truck lid would not have fallen victim to this issue.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I called 'em zits on my car, but I wonder of zits or bubbles isn't something that just happens no matter where the car is stored. Maybe the trunk is especially susceptible for one reason or another. The hood makes more sense, but I didn't have any zits on my hood, and neither did LBJ. Wayne
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Papawayne, RR's speechwriting team included Peggy Noonan, who wrote several books about him. Traditionally, S/Ws stayed in the background. She was really the first to have a public profile.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I didn't know that...thanks for saying so! He was a good president, because he could speak well. His "Challenger" speech was extraordinary. Wayne
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Found "LBJ for the USA" along with some other campaign buttons from that time. My father left me his collection of doo-dads and such. He had his own odds and ends that he threw in a desk drawer in his study along with those given to him by his father and grandfather. He eventually cleaned out his desk and mounted these in a printers type-set tray. Campaign buttons, early fishing lures, WWII medals, insignia taken from fallen Axis foes in Europe, car keys, bus tokens, metal drivers licenses that went on your key chain, civil war minie balls from the siege of Petersburg and on and on...
Attachments
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
IMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Those are some cool trinkets you have. My mom's dad who was 2ID landed on Omaha on D+1and had a suitcase of war trophies he had brought back from Germany. He had insignias, patches, knives, helmets, and a lot of pictures with German writing on the back that I thought was awesome to look at when I was a kid. It wasn't until I ended up in Iraq going on patrol with the door kickers that I truly realized what those war trophies really were. It becomes alarming when you realize that there was a very specific reason that they dug through that particular body and kept that knife or family picture and back packed it across Europe.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark: very cool! Do you happen to have one the Goldwater buttons that read “AuH2O”?

Chevy: my paternal grandfather was at D-day as well. He never talked about it, didn’t keep any souvenirs. Funny how some people are about those things.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Lee. you may find some souvenirs after you clean out his house. My Father-in-law never talked about his WW11 experience, but when we were cleaning out his house, we found what was an obvious German pistol. He was still alive and headed for the Nursing home. We brought it downstairs to show him the evidence, and he muttered that it belonged to a German soldier. We asked how he got it, and he replied, "He was dead". Well, how, we asked, and dad said, "I killed him". He would talk no more about it. My own father, on the other hand, had lots of stories, both from the Pacific, never a captive, and from Korea. He told them too often. My first boss, Hank was a 'Nam vet, and his only story from the Navy was "Never left San Fransisco" or that city I can't remember that's very close to Mexico and has a Navy base. Wayne

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”