Power steering box seal

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

hanko mechanico
Occasional Visitor

Power steering box seal

Post by hanko mechanico »

1957 lincoln capri Is it possible to change power steering box input or worm gear shaft seal with unit in car?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Power steering box seal

Post by TonyC »

The sector shaft (the one that the Pitman arm is attached to), maybe...if the Pitman arm can be removed. Not sure of the '50s boxes, but the '60s boxes have a ridiculously-high amount of torque applied to the nut that secures the Pitman arm to the box. If that's the case with yours, you'll need more than a standard torque wrench to get the arm off so the lower seals can be accessed. The upper seals, I'd dare say aren't possible to reach with the box still in place, but that depends on how far out from the firewall the boxes were placed in '57. If it is even possible, it will certainly be no easy (nor fun) task. Plus, having tried that job myself about 12 years ago and failed, I'd suggest submitting the box to a professional rebuilder, either locally or online. If there's a local one in your area, maybe you can help him by getting new seals and loaning out your shop manual, which should have instructions on how to do the job.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”