Our ‘66 Convertible Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Re: Our ‘66 Convertible Project

Post by blaroche »

Little progress update. Got a lot of little things done this weekend. Engine bay is nearly all reassembled and ready for the motor. Replaced most all of the engine side vacuum lines. Lastly, the long block has been painted.
IMG_4755.jpeg
IMG_4733.jpeg
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Looking good! You’re making swift progress on everything!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Dan & Nick, thanks for the kind words! We are hoping (perhaps a bit ambitiously) to have the engine back in the car next weekend. With summer rapidly approaching we would like to have this convertible back on the road sooner than later!
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

One question I do have for anyone with an original car... Should the harmonic balancer be blue or black? The company we use to rebuild our balancers returned it painted black. It was rust color when we shipped it to them, so any trace of the original color was gone. I referenced our authenticity manual but could not find anything specifying the correct color for the balancer. I will try to crawl around our '67 sedan tomorrow, but fear it's balancer might be the same rust color as the '66. Thanks!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I can tell you that the small block in the Mustang in those years was definitely a semi gloss black. So that makes me think they would have treated all engines the same.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I think I have seen more blue than black. The engine plant, paints everything blue, once an order is placed, the engine goes to the engine trim line, where all the accessories are added for that build, they are black or natural as supplied.
So I think the balancer was blue, but the other pullies, black, but that is just my theory, I never worked there.
Edited, Lincoln 462 pully and balancer are one piece, also 430s were painted black, so this only applies to 462s. I just checked my 67, it is shiny black, because I painted it when I changed the T. chain, I kinda think there were traces of blue before, but not sure. My 292 truck balancer is green, to match the block.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Semi gloss black for the balancer
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Our hopes of having the motor in this past weekend were not achieved, however, we did make some excellent progress! Trying to take our time and do things right, we’re hoping to have all the little details buttoned up this week and get the motor in on Saturday.
IMG_4934.jpeg
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

blaroche wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm Little progress update. Got a lot of little things done this weekend. Engine bay is nearly all reassembled and ready for the motor. Replaced most all of the engine side vacuum lines. Lastly, the long block has been painted.
IMG_4755.jpeg
IMG_4733.jpeg
Love the Lincoln LS grill collection!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 am
blaroche wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm Little progress update. Got a lot of little things done this weekend. Engine bay is nearly all reassembled and ready for the motor. Replaced most all of the engine side vacuum lines. Lastly, the long block has been painted.
IMG_4755.jpeg
IMG_4733.jpeg
Love the Lincoln LS grill collection!
Thank you! We have a 2000 LS that my grandparents purchased new in July of 1999. If anyone has been to the Lincoln museum at the Gilmore, we had it on loan there for several years. Since bringing it home last year we’ve updated the front end to a Gen II LSE front end. The first photo is from last year when we towed it home from Michigan with our Aviator. We left Michigan on a Saturday morning, drove nonstop, and arrived home in California the following Sunday night! Whirlwind trip, but it was fun!
IMG_6895.jpeg
IMG_3285.jpeg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Nice job! Reminds me of a TON of work I did on my '67 sedan many years back. Def take your time and do it right! Love seeing the progress.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Taking one's time on a restoration project is good. Not so much on whirlwind trips. I have a friend who drives a Dodge truck, and he would tell you it's a good thing you weren't trying to drive an electric car from the Gilmore to California. That's as political as I dare to get, just quoting other people. Wayne
blaroche
Occasional Visitor

Post by blaroche »

Thanks Jason & Wayne! Yes, we had hoped to be farther along but ultimately just want to do this once. So more time spent making sure things are right should pay off in the long run. And yes, we certainly couldn’t have made that drive from MI to CA as quickly as we did if we were in an EV. Towing, the Aviator is good for about 300 highway miles per tank, and it’s fill ups went much quicker than charging.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I can't disagree with you at all! Wayne