66 Continental Convertible Rocker Panels

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

daniplee

66 Continental Convertible Rocker Panels

Post by daniplee »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, although have been researching this forum for a bit!
I am restoring a 66 Continental convertible and have run in to a lot of rust in the rocker panels. Have started to remove a few pieces of the outside panel and found the inside panel (possibly 2 panels?) are heavily rusted.
Closeup next to the rear wheel arch
Closeup next to the rear wheel arch
IMG_4578.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Closer view of the section
Closer view of the section
IMG_4579.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 248 times
view panel removed next to the b pillar
view panel removed next to the b pillar
IMG_4580.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Any ideas on how to fix this? I have asked some of the usual suspects and have been told that the rust is severe and that these parts are not meant to be serviced, but I refuse to give up.
Does anyone know how the different panels are shaped? like an internal diagram? Has anyone replaced a section like this?
I am also thinking I should brace the car before continuing to remove panels, has anyone done this as well?
Any ideas or tips are greatly apreciated!
thanks!
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible - restoration mode on- :D
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 66 Continental Convertible Rocker Panels

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Nothing is unserviceable. You just have to support the vehicle, cut out, fabricate, and properly weld in your repairs. You better be good at it.

To be safe and strong, butt-welds aren't going to cut it. You need overlapping and reinforcing welds, possibly with channel steel, etc.

The usuals defer to “don’t bother” and “it’s unsafe” because they value their time and don’t want the liability. It’s not the same as putting on a new top or repainting. But if you do it, it’s your time and your risk.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Anything can be done. You just have to ask, at what cost? Both time and money. However, given that the rockers support the majority of the load on a convertible, I’m not sure I would pursue a fix with rust that bad. Pretty much anything can be fabricated but once the rockers are done, the car is done. My opinion. You could always try jacking by the front crossmember and see if the doors buckle.

If you still want to pursue it, I know that I have diagrams somewhere, probably from the master parts catalog that show the components, but it is not super detailed. To do this right, you need a factory assembly manual, which is super rare. I’ve only seen one in my life for a 1969.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

A buddy of mine, Tony "Boss" Bolin sold some nice parts to a guy in South Florida that would probably help you in this circumstance. The car was badly damage in an accident. After Tony sold the shop the parts the customer decided not to proceed ahead. If you need parts and don't wan to go the route of fabrication hit up Tony Bolin @ 727-243-7354. He might have more parts he could sell you or might know if the shop in South Florida wants to get rid of the stuff he sold them. I rode with him the day he delivered the parts and it was a good bit for a '66/'67.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

It looks like you're in pretty deep, this will be a major repair. I can tell you, the convertible rocker has an extra rib inside, so sedan parts are not interchangeable, Dan had a core to cut up, if he still has it.
I would not even try, I would look for another donor body, but if you do, replace it all, patchwork is weak. And inspect the structure behind the axle, and around the spring mounts, you really need to get a full picture before spending a ton on the rockers.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

https://roadstershop.com/product/1964-6 ... e-chassis/

That's the best way to fix it. With a frame under it you don't need to worry about the strength in the rockers. Looking at your pictures there looks to be a lot more rust in this vehicle than just the rockers. There are a lot of things you can do to fix this but whatever your going to do it will be costly.

I guess the real question here is how much do you currently have invested in the car? What's the overall budget for the build?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 pm https://roadstershop.com/product/1964-6 ... e-chassis/

That's the best way to fix it. With a frame under it you don't need to worry about the strength in the rockers. Looking at your pictures there looks to be a lot more rust in this vehicle than just the rockers. There are a lot of things you can do to fix this but whatever your going to do it will be costly.

I guess the real question here is how much do you currently have invested in the car? What's the overall budget for the build?
There's no substitute for cubic dollars!
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The only thing better than spending lots of money is spending even more money!
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Based on appearance the Mark iii frame design looks to be identical to the overall unibody chassis construction. I almost wonder if you could drop one of these cars on a Mark chassis If you notched the floors and re did some of the trunk around the frame section.

Mark iii
01-011.jpg
12311_p33_l.jpg
12311_p31_l.jpg
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It would probably be easier patch up what's accessible and run frame connectors front to back. That should make up for the inner structure of the rockers being rotted.
Need to see what the rest of it looks like.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

bd94s10 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am A buddy of mine, Tony "Boss" Bolin sold some nice parts to a guy in South Florida that would probably help you in this circumstance. The car was badly damage in an accident. After Tony sold the shop the parts the customer decided not to proceed ahead. If you need parts and don't wan to go the route of fabrication hit up Tony Bolin @ 727-243-7354. He might have more parts he could sell you or might know if the shop in South Florida wants to get rid of the stuff he sold them. I rode with him the day he delivered the parts and it was a good bit for a '66/'67.
Thanks for the number, once I reach a decision I will contact him!
Dan Szwarc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 am Nothing is unserviceable. You just have to support the vehicle, cut out, fabricate, and properly weld in your repairs. You better be good at it.

To be safe and strong, butt-welds aren't going to cut it. You need overlapping and reinforcing welds, possibly with channel steel, etc.

The usuals defer to “don’t bother” and “it’s unsafe” because they value their time and don’t want the liability. It’s not the same as putting on a new top or repainting. But if you do it, it’s your time and your risk.
Thanks for the encouragement!
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:05 am Anything can be done. You just have to ask, at what cost? Both time and money. However, given that the rockers support the majority of the load on a convertible, I’m not sure I would pursue a fix with rust that bad. Pretty much anything can be fabricated but once the rockers are done, the car is done. My opinion. You could always try jacking by the front crossmember and see if the doors buckle.

If you still want to pursue it, I know that I have diagrams somewhere, probably from the master parts catalog that show the components, but it is not super detailed. To do this right, you need a factory assembly manual, which is super rare. I’ve only seen one in my life for a 1969.
If you have the diagrams somewhere that would be a great help, so I see what's missing or needs to be done before opening up more the car.
frasern wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 am It looks like you're in pretty deep, this will be a major repair. I can tell you, the convertible rocker has an extra rib inside, so sedan parts are not interchangeable, Dan had a core to cut up, if he still has it.
I would not even try, I would look for another donor body, but if you do, replace it all, patchwork is weak. And inspect the structure behind the axle, and around the spring mounts, you really need to get a full picture before spending a ton on the rockers.
Agreed, i'm so deep now that I think the only way is forward! Thought so about the extra rib for convertibles but the confirmation reassures me that I understand what I'm looking at.
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 pm https://roadstershop.com/product/1964-6 ... e-chassis/

Thanks for the link, I agree with Lee!
This is way over what I can do!
You know what they say when you buy a classic car, spend as much money as you can, restoration is going to cost you triple!
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

Mike wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 pm It would probably be easier patch up what's accessible and run frame connectors front to back. That should make up for the inner structure of the rockers being rotted.
Have you done this before? Do you have a pic of how it would look like? Would you just weld them together along the way?
The rest looks ok, rust is only in the hidden spots. The floors look great, and the other side I also opened a little window on the rocker panel and looked good.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

daniplee wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 am
Mike wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 pm It would probably be easier patch up what's accessible and run frame connectors front to back. That should make up for the inner structure of the rockers being rotted.
Have you done this before? Do you have a pic of how it would look like? Would you just weld them together along the way?
The rest looks ok, rust is only in the hidden spots. The floors look great, and the other side I also opened a little window on the rocker panel and looked good.
Nope. But it's common to do on uni body cars to make them more rigid. Do a Google search for ideas.

Thst rusted panel inside the rocker should be sandwiched between the inner and outer rocker panel. It might be what the spot welds are for at the top. You'd probably have to cut the outer rocker panel off, cut that metal out and weld a new strip in along the top and bottom and butt weld the rocker panel back on.

The middle if your rocker looks solid so it makes you wonder how many convertibles are running around with that rot inside.

Here's a pic of 61-63. Probably similar to yours.
Attachments
20240213_104107.jpg
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”