Another LED conversion question (1963)

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

AmazonChitlin

Another LED conversion question (1963)

Post by AmazonChitlin »

Hey all!

I know there are a few topics on the subject, however I’m still confused. For the record, I have a ‘63 sedan.

I’m replacing the lights with LEDS. I’ve gotten the upper instrument panels done, however now I’m on the lower left panel, and I am stuck. I’ve managed to kinda/sorta get it out - there’s enough space so that I can kinda see what’s going on with a mirror/ borescope.

I was able to remove the light switch and the cylinder for the ignition, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to access the bulbs. I’ve identified them, I just can’t figure out how to get them out from the backside of the panel. It really doesn’t seem like they were meant to come out that way. I’ve included the picture for reference.
IMG_1025.jpeg
If they come out on the front side, can someone show me how to get the faceplate off so that I can access them that way?

Finally, does anyone know what the sockets for the bulbs on the fuel and temp gauge are called, or where to get some extras?

Thanks!
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Another LED conversion question (1963)

Post by mge825y »

Amazon - there’s some good info on accessing that lower cluster in this thread.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 9&start=15
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Another LED conversion question (1963)

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Not 100% but that socket might pop out by bending it gently away from the gage (pressure fingers in a circle on the other side).

No guarantee.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”