1965 Driver's side door question

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jim65Linc

1965 Driver's side door question

Post by Jim65Linc »

New guy here and new to Continentals. I am looking at a driver's side door that doesn't close properly. I initially figured I'd take door card off, inspect mechanism, etc. After looking at it a little, though, I noticed that the door appears to be catching at the doohickey above the door mechanism (I don't know what to call it)-almost like a separate striker and catch? The passenger side door has one on post and door , but the driver's door does not (only on post). When looking at other 65's door jamb pics, it looks like I'm missing the striker on the door? This leads me to believe I may have a door from another year? I'm still at the investigation stage, but car looks like it may have had some bad paintwork in this door jamb previously. When I took the door card off, I can see signs that the door may have been tan at one time. Am I right about an earlier year door? Second question, should I hunt for a new door or simply try to cut into where it is hitting? It looks like that may have been the fix from the factory on 64 and later? Is there a way to look at the door and know what year it is? Am I off base?

Also, just to close the loop, the Warranty plate is correct to the car, and rivets look right, but there are signs of some overspray on it. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge sharing guys. Much appreciated. Jim
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1965 Driver's side door question

Post by TonyC »

Jim,

First, welcome. Unless a veteran '65 owner sees this and knows exactly what you're trying to describe, we may need pictures.

Being that you are new to Lincolns, I have to warn you not to even think about cutting anything that a vet doesn't tell you is safe to cut. These cars are full-blown unibody; any cutting other than that which factory guidance authorizes risks compromising the car's structural integrity.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I don't have any '64-5s, but '61-2 have a square cut out in the front post for the heater ducts, '63 door is not cut out. And '61 had a piece of asphalt impregnated burlap stuck to the inside of the skin, it will have fallen off, leading to a rusty surface in there. '62-3 had a sprayed on surface which resembles box lining for trucks.
Post a picture of the doohicky, '67 has a brass coloured spring loaded anti rattle that '66 and '68 don't have.
(Not that doohickey!)
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Jim65Linc

Post by Jim65Linc »

Tony,

Thanks. I am probably all talk about cutting. Hah. I'll post a picture. Jim
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Check the passenger door for the same mechanism.

Convertibles had extra hardware in the doors to improve stiffness due to the lack of a roof and B-pillar to the roof.
At least 66s and 67s did. I do not know about 61s-65s.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

If it's causing issues if you can cut the door to match the other side and install the proper latch thats what i would do.

Very strange that the door color is different with the panel off but the tag doesn't have signs of being messed with. I know the official VIN is supposed to be the one stamped under the hood but I always found it strange that they put vin tags on the door to begin with when they're do easy to be changed. Especially on the vehicles where that is the official vin plate.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Are you confident that the vin matches what is stamped on the frame?

I was thinking that Lincoln was still attaching that plate to the driver front door pillar in 65, but I’m probably wrong about that.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I guess that's why they put the caveat on the plate. The number on the plate was meant to be used only while the car was still covered by warranty; the fact that the number on the plate was the same as the proper VIN was supposed to be academic. Today, a new owner needs to compare the plate number to the actual VIN, to make sure they exactly match. If they do, use the plate number for title and registration acquisitions, and confirmations just in case any authority figures need to see the VIN on the car to compare with the paperwork. If they don't match, even in one letter/number, go by the hard-to-read VIN in the engine bay.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My '67 has this on each door, I thought it was a '67 thing, but maybe it's a convertible thing.
DSCF9396.JPG
The warranty plate went onto the door during the '63 production, someone posted a picture of a '63 on the door once.
The OP said the warranty plate was correct to the car, so I guess he has checked that, but I have seen 3 cars with the wrong door and plate.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I think the warranty plates was a change during 63. Mine is on the door jamb but I've seen pics of them both places.
I'm not sure I've ever seen one on my parts car.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Mike, my '63 is on the post, same place as the '62s, so if yours is on the door, that confirms a running change during '63.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Strickland

Post by Strickland »

Hello—new here & new to Continentals. Would any parts from a 67 4-door help you? I have seen one locally at a pick-a-part yard.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

frasern wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:49 pm Mike, my '63 is on the post, same place as the '62s, so if yours is on the door, that confirms a running change during '63.
When i said its on the door jamb I meant its on the body like yours so it seems that's where most are.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Jim65Linc

Post by Jim65Linc »

I am not smart enough to post pics. I didn't see anything in the faq's about it, but I may have missed it. The inside of the door is a light tan, so I guess it could be the original door. The pic posted by @frasern above is what I am talking about. It's like an extra upper door striker. I have the striker on the passenger door and passenger post, as well as the driver post, but not on the driver door. The post striker was hitting the door. I removed the striker but there is still a raised area that I think is hitting the door.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Jim65Linc wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:34 pm I am not smart enough to post pics. I didn't see anything in the faq's about it, but I may have missed it. The inside of the door is a light tan, so I guess it could be the original door. The pic posted by @frasern above is what I am talking about. It's like an extra upper door striker. I have the striker on the passenger door and passenger post, as well as the driver post, but not on the driver door. The post striker was hitting the door. I removed the striker but there is still a raised area that I think is hitting the door.
Maximum Size of inline images!
I don't think the forum supports HEIC images.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”