75 Mark IV Starter Motor Replacement?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

beaverbikes

75 Mark IV Starter Motor Replacement?

Post by beaverbikes »

I've been working on this car for a few months getting her roadworthy. Thinking of parts I need to hoard. Had her up on the lift last night and finally remembered to look up in there. I have a Motors manual, but it's a few miles away right now. Wondering if a starter remove and replace might be as aggravating as looks like it could be?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 75 Mark IV Starter Motor Replacement?

Post by TonyC »

It can be if you don't know tricks of the trade. On my car, it's so cramped in there that the front wheels have to be turned all the way to the right, get the steering linkage out of the way, to have just enough clearance to swap a starter.

I don't know about Mark setups; but considering your question, I think you may have to do the same. If so, that will make it easier.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

It's probably easier on Tony's car. Shouldn't be too terrible with a lift, though.
Attachments
IMG_0433.PNG
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
beaverbikes

Post by beaverbikes »

Man, guys, thanks a lot. Think I'll go ahead and round up a good spare, and do a little more investigation underneath. Was also going to lay in a spare alternator, but instead gotta go find one for immediate replacement......always something.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hmm...I will admit, at least on my car, unbolting the idler arm is not a requirement. Maybe Frankenstein is easier in that regard...

Anyway, Beaverbikes, you're welcome. If you want suggestions on where to acquire your spares, I personally recommend O'Reilly, with NAPA as the first alternative. Where electrical components for cars are concerned–starters, alternators, distributors, etc.–O'Reilly has a far better rep for quality than AutoZone. Some here say NAPA's quality rep is even better; but the cost is higher as well, which is why I listed them as an alternative. I also recommend getting parts with lifetime warranties; they will cost more, but you will not pay again when those components eventually give out, as long as you keep the receipts.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)