68 Continental with Aluminum wheels

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

arncl

68 Continental with Aluminum wheels

Post by arncl »

Hi Dan I bought a 68 two door Continental and it came with Aluminum rims that look like they are factory. They have a Lincoln emblem in the center witch is held on be 3 screws. I tried to look them up but can't find anything about them. Have you heard of them are they factory pieces? Any info will be great Thanks Arn
arncl

Re: MUST READ: New Users must post within 30 days or be deleted

Post by arncl »

Dan Sorry after looking at the picture I took it only has 1 screw Thanks again Arn
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 68 Continental with Aluminum wheels

Post by Dan Szwarc »

No factory 1968 Lincoln ever shipped with aluminum wheels. It’s probably 70s rims.

If your trying to remove the center cap, the. It’s merely snapped onto three special butt-plug shaped posts.

Edit: this is for turbine rims only.

Gently pry them off using a large tool with a bend on the end like a pry bar or a steel trim removal tool. Be very careful not to damage the rim or over bend the stainless steel caps. Pry outwards near the posts.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The factory '70s turbine rims have snaps, dog dish ones have 3 screws. But these wheels will not clear the '68 calipers without modification, you likely have aftermarket rims.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

A pic would help trying to determine what they are.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sounds like he may have the dog dish/ radar wheels, but we need a pic.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed; I'd like to see this as well. I remember trying a '70s wheel on Frankenstein for a short while. Although the stud pattern matched, the central hub hole was larger on the wheel, meaning the load was carried solely by the lug nuts and studs. It was only a short time, though, before I managed to acquire a proper '60s wheel.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

TonyC wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:35 pm Indeed; I'd like to see this as well. I remember trying a '70s wheel on Frankenstein for a short while. Although the stud pattern matched, the central hub hole was larger on the wheel, meaning the load was carried solely by the lug nuts and studs. It was only a short time, though, before I managed to acquire a proper '60s wheel.

---Tony
Are the wheels a press fit on these 60s cars ? If it's not a press fit the hub hole in the middle of the wheel is not carrying any weight because there will always gap between the hub hole and the actual hub. The lugs carry all the weight of a vehicle and rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel to the mounting surface.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
arncl

Post by arncl »

Here is a picture. Are they from a 70?
Attachments
IMG_1112 (1).jpg
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Don't know what year that rim started but it was used in the late 70s.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
arncl

Post by arncl »

I have the car in the shop now but will defiantly check it out. Maybe I can get my Machinist Buddy to make some spacers for the hubs or I'll just have to get the right rims. I don't want to spend much money on it as I am trying to sell it.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Those are more mid-'70s, like '76 and later. Ads from that year show them.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:21 pm
TonyC wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:35 pm Indeed; I'd like to see this as well. I remember trying a '70s wheel on Frankenstein for a short while. Although the stud pattern matched, the central hub hole was larger on the wheel, meaning the load was carried solely by the lug nuts and studs. It was only a short time, though, before I managed to acquire a proper '60s wheel.

---Tony
Are the wheels a press fit on these 60s cars ? If it's not a press fit the hub hole in the middle of the wheel is not carrying any weight because there will always gap between the hub hole and the actual hub. The lugs carry all the weight of a vehicle and rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel to the mounting surface.
And the differences between “lug-centric” and “hub-centric” wheels have been debated for a long time. I was always of the opinion the Lincoln used piloted or hub-centric wheels, not because of the support, but just because it was a better way of ensuring the wheel was perfectly concentric and would have minimum out-of-round vibration.

Whether the hub supplies any support is debated, and like many things, you can find support online for either camp, but I thought this particular analysis was well reasoned and presented well. The guy is a Ph.D, professional engineer, and failure analysis consultant, so I’ll go with the bona-fides in this particular case.
https://www.machinedesign.com/fastening ... ric-wheels
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

machinedesign_com_sites_machinedesign.com_files_uploads_2016_06_07_Graphic_3.jpeg
machinedesign_com_sites_machinedesign.com_files_uploads_2016_06_07_Graphic_3.jpeg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 205 times
This image from that article..... :snooty:

He is saying that the wheel lost center because it was lug centric and the vehicle wasn't designed for that. This is where it loses credibility IMO.... If his explanation for the damage done to the wheel was correct EVERY lug hole would have been damaged since the wheel is rolling. Honestly it just appears that the wheel was ran loose or had the wrong lug nuts. Another issue I had with that article was the picture of the wheel stud broken. I have seen studs brake from being both over and under torqued but never in my life have I seen one brake that was using the CORRECT lug nut for the wheel torqued to spec simply driving down the road.

IMO if the wheel can be picked up and easily slid on the hub (especially after the brakes and bearings are hot) there is a gap. I honestly don't think the hub centric design isn't there for strength but rather to help center the wheel to the lugs before the tapered seat of the lug nuts centers the wheel to the studs.

Would it be safe to say that a TRUE hub centric wheel would use a flat face lug nut (for example a dully steel wheel) and a lug centric would use a tapper seat lug nut?
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
455hota
Occasional Visitor

Post by 455hota »

My 1979 Lincoln Continental has those wheels on it:
IMG_5094.jpeg
This car is a documented 28K mile car, and these wheels were on it when it left the Wixom Assembly Plant.
... Steve T.

1966 Lincoln Continental 4 Door
1966 Pontiac GTO Hardtop
1967 Ford Thunderbird 4 Door
1970 Pontiac Trams Am RAIII
1979 Lincoln Continental 4 Door Towncar Option
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi Scat Pack Shaker

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”