Engine motor oil for rebuilt '64 430 engine

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Engine motor oil for rebuilt '64 430 engine

Post by epbendel1 »

Which modern motor oil is best for my rebuilt 1964 430 cubic inch original engine?
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Engine motor oil for rebuilt '64 430 engine

Post by Lee »

There will be plenty of opinions, here's mine.

There are 2 areas where most modern motor oils are really incompatible with older engine designs:

1) Most modern oils are extremely light weight. 0W-20 is common, and even 5W weights are still too light. I would not use anything lighter than a 10W-30 grade, unless you are driving around Fraser's neighborhood in January. Heavier weights are getting rarer every day.
2) Zinc and phosphorus are reduced in modern oils to avoid catalytic converter contamination. They were very good additives at reducing friction and wear in sliding metal on metal applications, the biggest being flat tappet cams in old engines. New engines invariably now have rolling cam followers, so they don't need as much. So look for high levels of those, often referred to collectively as "ZDDP". It is also available as an additive.

I use a synthetic, but that choice is less consequential to engine life, in my opinion, that the first two points.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You should follow your engine rebuilder's instructions on the break-in oil, how long to use it, etc.

After that, use the oil recommended in your owner's manual with a ZDDP additive (most likely 10W-40 or 10W-30).
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Lee wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:42 pm

1) Most modern oils are extremely light weight. 0W-20 is common, and even 5W weights are still too light. I would not use anything lighter than a 10W-30 grade, unless you are driving around Fraser's neighborhood in January. Heavier weights are getting rarer every day.
One would be crazy to drive a classic Lincoln around my neighourhood in January, unless one really likes "patina". I use 10 W 30 diesel oil, because diesels still have flat tappets, but do as Dan has suggested, follow the rebuilders directions, at least until it's out of warranty (if applicable).
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

frasern wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:20 am
One would be crazy to drive a classic Lincoln around my neighourhood in January,
🙂 Years ago, I bought my (very unrestored) Model A from a party in Minnesota. In January. When I arrived with a trailer to pick it up, it was parked outside, -10F, and a foot of snow all over it. And I didn’t have a winch. When I expressed my fears, the guy who sold it to me just smiled, and went out to the car. While I’m standing there wagering with my brother on the chances…he pressed the starter pedal, and it started cranking over slowwwwer than I thought a starter ever could. But it caught, and a few minutes, it was climbing on the trailer under its own power.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Love the model A story.

Haven't owned one of those yet.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Rick, I love that word "yet"!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

rick wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:32 pm Love the model A story.

Haven't owned one of those yet.
I’d never owned pre-war, so I was a bit leery, but you couldn’t find an easier car to restore. Maybe a T. They are dead simple. There’s a huge aftermarket supplier base; you could probably build one from scratch. I did frame-off, every nut and bolt got attention, bought the interior from Lebaron Bonney (I miss them!) did all the paint and engine work myself except for cylinder boring and crank machining, and finished in just over two years, still working a full time job. They are going cheap these days…that generation is passing into history, and they certainly aren’t a millenial’s dream car.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

I personally do not like adding additives to anything. I use Valvoline vr1 oil in everything with a flat appetite cam. It's a low detergent oil but to me that dosen't matter because I am not daily driving these things nor am I skipping oil changes.

Every major manufacturer now has a high zinc oil so it all depends on the brands you like. I know a lot of people running the Amsoil high zinc and the Lucas hot rod oil with outstanding results. Most everything is good if you are buying quality products and not trying to run 10k+ miles per oil change.

Just thinking here about the motor builders I have known over the years and their recommendations.... I can't think of any engine builder that recommends anything besides Valvoline, Amsoil, or Lucas. I have never heard an engine builder say "ya that Castrol GTX is the cats ass of oil". Just a thought/ ramble!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:50 pm I have never heard an engine builder say "ya that Castrol GTX is the cats ass of oil". Just a thought/ ramble!
Obviously, you are not located in Europe🤭
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-st ... rover.html
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

My wife has a supercharged XJL and it's a pain in the ass to find that gold bottle edge. Another strange thing about those cars is you typically do an oil change completely from the top. When you open the oil filler there is a metal tube that sticks up in there that you are supposed to hook an evacuation machine to and suck the oil out of the crankcase. I don't have one of those machines so I go old school and do it from the bottom.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I personally use Wal-Mart's 10W-40, plus a bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive at every change, per my former mechanic's recommendation. It's the most convenient source for me.

That reminds me, I still have to make a venture to Lackland and register at the auto-skill center there, in time for the next oil change which should be the beginning of next year at my current rate. One disappointment I learned upon moving back is a that all the auto-hobby shops had been dismantled except for Lackland's, which is located on the exactly opposite corner of SA where I settled :smt011 . If there is a way to protest the absence of a shop on Fort Sam, I will; that hotel they put up in the old shop's spot is of zero use to me.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

The '64 Lincoln is past the break-in period and the break-in oil has been removed. It has gone about 3,000 miles altogether and it's ready for an oil change. Is the Valvoline VR1 10W-30 racing oil OK for this application without the additive? Thanks to all for your advice.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

epbendel1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:28 pm The '64 Lincoln is past the break-in period and the break-in oil has been removed. It has gone about 3,000 miles altogether and it's ready for an oil change. Is the Valvoline VR1 10W-30 racing oil OK for this application without the additive? Thanks to all for your advice.
I run that 20w50 vr1 in most everything with awesome results. The 460 in the Lincoln doesn't like the 20w50 and kicks the oil pressure up to high so I run the vr1 40 weight and it runs well.

Ask your engine builder what weight you should run. Factory specs don't matter anymore because they could have increased the bearing clearances when they built the engine. Remember that's a low detergent oil so don't skip oil changes and try to get 15k miles out of an oil change! If it's a vehicle that is seldom driven atleast change it twice a year regardless of miles driven.

Have you hooked up a mechanical Guage to the engine yet to see the actual pressure its running at with the 10w30?
71 Lincoln Mark iii
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

I decided to go with Valvoline VR1 20W-50. Thanks for all the advice. I will post results again after use.