'63 Lincoln - Where to start

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
amiller653

'63 Lincoln - Where to start

Post by amiller653 »

Lincoln 1.jpg
Hey gang - I'm new to the board. My wife has inherited a 63 Lincoln that her grandfather purchased new. It's been sitting in a barn on the farm for 20 plus years. We pulled it out in 2014 to clean it up and get it running. Unfortunately, we had to put it back in the barn shortly after. I'm going to get it towed to a shop and get it put up on a lift so I can see what I'm dealing with on the underside.

I'm new to this game and I have no idea where to start. I know there is great debate about purist and those that go mod. I like the idea of mod, but not sure my budget allows me to do what I want to do.

Any help or suggestions on where to start would be great.
Attachments
Lincoln 5.jpg
Lincoln 4.jpg
Lincoln 3.jpg
Lincoln 2.jpg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: '63 Lincoln - Where to start

Post by Lee »

Welcome. If it were mine, I’d gingerly work toward getting it roadworthy, then decide what route you want to take restoration-wise.

Was it running when it was parked? If so, there are methods to ease it back into life without causing undue damage in the process. Keep us updated.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
amiller653

Post by amiller653 »

yes it was running when we parked it. I've torn the interior out of it as the mice got into it. I was thinking of getting it up on a lift to see how it looks underneath before I go to crazy. If it looks decent I would like to make it a driver for a bit. So then the debate of swap vs. rebuild the 430 or 460 whatever it is. That shows you how much I know about this stuff LOL
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

What's the budget?

Thats the determining factor for this...
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
amiller653

Post by amiller653 »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am What's the budget?

I can probably budget spending $50k-$60 over a 2 year period. Trying to figure out the best way to do it in phases and what makes sense.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

You probably don’t need the lift. Just use a flashlight and look at the floor pans. If you don’t see any holes, it’s unlikely there’s significant rust damage elsewhere. It looks in pretty decent shape, you might have just clean it up, get it running, and have a blast.There will be plenty of time later to decide if you want to fish or cut bait. Won’t cost much to get it cleaned up and running, and probably doubles the price you could get if you decide to sell.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
kiwicon

Post by kiwicon »

Agree with Lee (above) Give it a good clean then look for any rust bubbles or holes.

I wouldn't just chuck at battery at it and hope for the best. Try and get a socket onto the front of the crank and see if you can get a full 360 out of it first.
Vince - New Zealand
Chained but never Tamed
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

amiller653 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:15 pm
1Bad55Chevy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am What's the budget?

I can probably budget spending $50k-$60 over a 2 year period. Trying to figure out the best way to do it in phases and what makes sense.
When you say things like "engine swap" and "modify" what exactly are you referring to? Are you really mechanically inclined?

If you are trying to build a car that's bagged, big brake conversion, high end wheels, ls/4l60e swapped, custom interior, and custom paint $60k will not do it. If that's what you desire I would suggest cleaning up your current car, get it running, and selling it for around $30k. You could take your $60k plus the profits off the old car and buy something for around $100k that would have cost $200k to build.

Remember shop rate for a custom car shop is going to run around $150 an hour ($6k a week) to build it. But if your able to fabricate and wire everything yourself it would be doable.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Look for rust in the dog legs, that's where rust always starts, the floor looks good.
If you had mice, there are lots of little runways in the body unit that they love, so dig into all those little holes while you have the interior out. I used air, and some long, homemade tubes to reach into places only a mouse can find. Then try to spray some paint in there to seal the scent.
It looks like the Lincoln had a Ford 8N to keep it company!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

amiller653 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:07 am Lincoln 1.jpg
Hey gang - I'm new to the board. My wife has inherited a 63 Lincoln that her grandfather purchased new. It's been sitting in a barn on the farm for 20 plus years. We pulled it out in 2014 to clean it up and get it running. Unfortunately, we had to put it back in the barn shortly after. I'm going to get it towed to a shop and get it put up on a lift so I can see what I'm dealing with on the underside.

I'm new to this game and I have no idea where to start. I know there is great debate about purist and those that go mod. I like the idea of mod, but not sure my budget allows me to do what I want to do.

Any help or suggestions on where to start would be great.
Amiller653
I have a ‘63 and mine was similarly stored in a barn from 1997 to 2017. I sent you a PM with several of the things I found that you may want to check.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Not even counting the cost of a common crate engine, there will then be the headache of chopping up the car to try and make that engine fit...which will then chain-react to the rest of the drivetrain which is not compatible with anything that isn't a MEL Y-block. You'll burn through that 50-to-60 kilos of whatever merchandise just trying to do that...and that is not the sort of thing I'd suggest even for pros in chopping bodies. Chopping up a unibody is a very risky venture; the only ones who did it successfully were Lehmann-Peterson.

Rebuilding what you have will be much cheaper. The parts are out there if you know where to look. I do think the engine will need to be taken apart, at least to hot-tank out all the deposits and goo that have to be clogging up the oil and coolant passages inside the block. Those MELs are about as durable as anything else, but they do fall victim to the second law of thermodynamics, just like everything else in this plane of existence.

That said, there are some design flaws in the car's systems that need to be addressed. Good news about that is, all those flaws can be engineered out today with relative ease.

That is a nice inheritance! My grand used to have one of the same year when I was a baby. It was all-white with nearly every option offered that year.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

:grin: iii
TonyC wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:17 pm Not even counting the cost of a common crate engine, there will then be the headache of chopping up the car to try and make that engine fit...which will then chain-react to the rest of the drivetrain which is not compatible with anything that isn't a MEL Y-block. You'll burn through that 50-to-60 kilos of whatever merchandise just trying to do that...and that is not the sort of thing I'd suggest even for pros in chopping bodies. Chopping up a unibody is a very risky venture; the only ones who did it successfully were Lehmann-Peterson.

---Tony
There are a LOT of shops out there that do insane custom work so I would assume more than just one of these cars were built right. I don't think you realize what it actually takes to LS swap one of these cars. Here is a complete build supercharged LS/4L80E/ Ford 9" (thats the same trans they put in the 3/4 and 1 ton gas trucks so yes it can handle the weight). You can see it only required a small modification to the front frame section to clear the long tubes and the AC compressor. The car even retains all the factory floors, trans tunnel, and steering. Remember these are a lot smaller engines then what was in the car from the factory.

https://metalworksclassics.com/portfoli ... 18404-81f8

You always saying people are compromising the structural integrity of these cars with any modifications and the more I look into it I am just not seeing it. The real issue with these modifications is that people don't understand what it takes financially to build something or under estimate the skill required to actually finish something. Hot Rod magazine really convinced people you could ls swap a car in your garage for under $3k and I have yet to see that happen.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The amount of modifying to the floor or firewall and engine mounts to fit a different engine shouldnt affect anything with the unibody as long as you're not removing framing or structural components.
There's a lot of pros to changing the engine- more power, better gas mileage, better parts availability just to name a few. But it's probably not worth getting into if you're only putting minimal mileage on the car and paying someone to do all the work and don't expect to make the money back. It usually ends up reducing the value and makes it harder to sell unless you find someone who wants everything you've done to it.

As for what to check from sitting just the obvious things. What works what doesn't, the brake system, the fuel system, steering and suspension, rust, leaks, hoses.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

To chime in on the structural modifications, 68-69s equipped with the 460 had the “frame” inside the engine compartment notched for clearance. Wasn’t in the plans to do this when the chassis was originally designed but something had to happen for the engine to fit. Ford modified the original design and I have yet to see any negative consequences of it.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ford modified the original design and I have yet to see any negative consequences of it.
I read about issues from books printed back in the day; the last year-and-a-half of the unibodies apparently wound up with highway-speed vibrations that did not exist before. Though none of these books implied that those symptoms were directly attributed to the mods, it was a conclusion I inferred. And I am still not entirely convinced that many here fully comprehend the repercussions of cutting up a unibody. But I'm leaving it at that; I am not looking for a war.

If anyone has evidence to prove me wrong, you're free to share it. I still just do not think that the five figures required for a common crate swap is worth it, as these MELs already have enough strength to break their speedometers. None of the excuses tossed about really justify such a swap, save for "just because."
You always saying people are compromising the structural integrity of these cars with any modifications and the more I look into it I am just not seeing it. The real issue with these modifications is that people don't understand what it takes financially to build something or under estimate the skill required to actually finish something. Hot Rod magazine really convinced people you could ls swap a car in your garage for under $3k and I have yet to see that happen.
Yes, I will agree that mags really like to puff up the glory of swaps, to the point of misleading starry-eyed newbies into donating to the manufacturers–usually far more merchandise than the 3-kilos they claim. But I say what I say because of conclusions that come to me from experience and from researching facts, not blind purism. I sifted through some of that link's picture portfolio; though I only saw some, I saw enough to prove my point. They cut deep into the side and cross beams for that engine to go in. That will compromise structural integrity. Perhaps it isn't being seen because these cars never have seen, nor will ever see, NASCAR-type tracks or speeds; few will even see interstate tracks and speeds. They'll only be parade cars or show-fodder, never used as actual motorized conveyance. I just do not abide fancy, expensive mods for pure show, be they LS swaps by rich independents or factory-installed revving sound bytes to mimic the sound of a high-performance gasoline engine (as some full EVs and hybrid EVs have been doing over the past couple years). Show-off is nice at times, but I just prefer any mods to also be daily-practical.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)