Tmiller6's 65 Convertible

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Tmiller6's 65 Convertible

Post by papawayne »

I put the rubbery spacers on mine years ago because Bakker's had them and sold them as the correct ones. I think they are still OK. but if I was going to do it today, I'd use the hard ones. A done deal is a done deal. Got my new center link at NAPA, I think. It had grease fittings. Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

455hota wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:02 am I understand the potential catastrophic failure if the rubber is bad and fails with driving, and then you have a steering box not secured to the frame!! Incredibly dangerous!
Thanks in advance!
I just happened to see some information in the 1964 data book, and remembered your question. The original rubber mounts are designed in a fail-safe way. See cutaway. It can get loose, but won’t fall away from the frame.
Attachments
IMG_0620.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Jim65Linc

Post by Jim65Linc »

Cool story. It looks like you just put new tires on her (as I think I still see the blue on the white stripes in the first pic)? I like the look of whatever you've got on there. I need to replace mine. What did you go with?
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

I’m getting closer to installing the new center link. I agree, the grease fittings and improved joints are a plus.

Today I installed my rebuilt steering gear. I didn’t have a helper so I used a Model T jack on the end of the pitman shaft and used a tapered line-up punch to find the first hole. The other two bolts lined up easier.
IMG_7186.jpeg
I’m using the original rag joint as it shows no signs of degradation.

I finally looked at and decoded my VIN plate. Build date was Wednesday May 26 a few days before the Memorial Day holiday. DSO is 84; Home Office Reserve.

I’m getting ready to re-install the column. I think I should be able to re-install the brake booster with a long socket extension through the lower dash.

One non-stock item I am using is a GM A-Body reproduction metering valve for the front brakes. Appearance wise, I suspect the same supplier originally made the GM and Ford valves. This one lacks the spring loaded shaft that leaked in this car. The application chart shows it was used cars of the same vintage. Because I have cruise control I have no room for a dual master cylinder. I do plan to send my original valve out to be rebuilt.
IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_7188.jpeg
Tmiller6

Post by Tmiller6 »

Jim,

My tires came from Coker. They’re Generals and bias ply construction. They’ve been on the car a few years now. This is the year the wheel covers go back on and the whitewalls get cleaned.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”