15" Tires for my '63 LCC

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

15" Tires for my '63 LCC

Post by mge825y »

I may have shared that I have had too many problems with my American Classic P235/75R14 tires on my '63 LCC. So, I have decided to go up a tire size from the stock 14" to 15". I'm doing this simply to have better tire options.

I have a set of 15" Lincoln rims from a 64/65 that were media blasted and powder coated. I have a set of 64/65 hubcaps that are on the way to me.

My question is - has anyone else upgraded to 15" wheels on their '63 and what tires are you running (I'm trying to make a tire decision)?

When I ran the P235/75R14's on my '63, the fronts would rub on the upper ball joint. Don't want that with the new ones.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 15" Tires for my '63 LCC

Post by Ken Stevens »

235/75R15s from Diamondbacks on 15” Lincoln steelies. Those tires are so nice; easy to balance and they are actually round. Just ordered my second set with 2-3/8 www (it’s for my ‘61). First set is 9 years old, so I’d feel better with newer rubber. The old set is being kept in storage as they still look great and have good tread.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Ken Stevens wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 pm 235/75R15s from Diamondbacks on 15” Lincoln steelies. Those tires are so nice; easy to balance and they are actually round. Just ordered my second set with 2-3/8 www (it’s for my ‘61). First set is 9 years old, so I’d feel better with newer rubber. The old set is being kept in storage as they still look great and have good tread.

Thanks Ken!
Mark in Charlotte
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark, just to add to your candidates list, Cooper produces a line of tires, some with whitewalls, marketed under the “Ironman” trademark. I had never heard of them until now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/irn-94039

Dan, do we possibly need a thread for for available tires, and owner experiences? (Maybe there already is, and I didn’t see it). There are still quite a few P235/75R15’s out there, but not many whitewalls remaining, that’s for sure.

Unfortunately for us 14” guys, the list is short: American Classics.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Good to know about those iron man tires. I have another car that needs them.

I'm in the 14" pool for now lincoln wise.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

What I've learned from the preliminary feedback on P235/75R15 tire options. (Prices are based on what I see in Charlotte, NC):
- Better: Diamond Backs Auburn Premiums are one of the better options. They are pricey and you have to order them and have them shipped to you. You can get them to put any size whitewall you want. The price is $299 / tire (and up based on the size of the whitewall and amount of customization)
- Better: VOGUECLASSIC WHITE. You can buy them at national retail tire stores. The whitewall is 1.5" probably for 70's Cadillacs. Not sure this whitewall size looks / works on a 60's Lincoln. Pricey at $218 / tire
- Better: HANKOOK OPTIMO H724. You can buy them at national retail tire stores. Backordered in my area. Narrow whitewall. $95 / tire
- Good: NEXEN N PRIZ AH5. You can buy them at national retail tire stores. Narrow whitewall. $117 / tire
- Good: Ironman RB-12 NWS All Season. You can buy them at some national chain tire stores. But can also order on-line. It has a narrow whitewall. $100 / tire.
Of course there's Coker American Classic.
Mark in Charlotte
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Vogue tires are usually at the bottom of lists. People rate them high because of looks but typically say they they suck if they're on a car that sees much driving.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

My personal preference, I’d skip the Hankook Optimos. Sidewall is too busy/ugly. I’ve got them on my Mark III and would like to switch them. I had a set of Toyo Extensas on my ‘67 sedan. No complaints from those at all.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:07 pm Vogue tires are usually at the bottom of lists. People rate them high because of looks but typically say they they suck if they're on a car that sees much driving.
Good to know!
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm My personal preference, I’d skip the Hankook Optimos. Sidewall is too busy/ugly. I’ve got them on my Mark III and would like to switch them. I had a set of Toyo Extensas on my ‘67 sedan. No complaints from those at all.
Good to know! Looks like they (the Optimas) are being discontinued and replaced with a similar Hankook style named Kinergy.
Mark in Charlotte
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Discount Tire told me something different regarding Nexen vs. Hankook, two months ago. The tech there said that Hankooks are not reputed to have the best tread integrity, that the Nexens they (Discount) sell would be a bit better. So, I'm sporting the Nexens on Frankenstein's front wheels. The pair I bought proved to be less of a dollar amount than the Hankooks I had been buying from Peerless since being in Kansas (before Discount Tire started to appear in the state). Having done the math based on what I paid, it would cost me $100 less for a set of Nexens from Discount than a set of Hankooks from Peerless! The Nexen tires also have M+S rating, which may not sound like much here but is critical in places like Germany. And if what they said about tread integrity is true (still saying "if"), then that's an even better deal.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Here’s another for the list. Don’t know a thing about them…
https://www.suretractires.com/wsw/
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Mark, many thanks for posting the results of your tire research. I am leaning toward getting the Diamondbacks even though they may be more expensive. I don’t mind paying extra if the tires have a higher weight limit, better specs and offer better handling characteristics than others. Also, I prefer a tire that has the proper size whitewall for my ‘67 which is a narrower ww than those on a ‘63. When I first bought the car the whitewalls were way too wide but I soon replaced them with correctly sized ones which I prefer.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Lee wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:11 pm Here’s another for the list. Don’t know a thing about them…
https://www.suretractires.com/wsw/

Those tires look decent too. Thanks for posting.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Lee - Thanks for the intel on the SureTracs. I saw those too but I also know nothing about them and don't know anyone personally that have purchased them. I wished there was more data out there on them.

Nick - Thanks for the intel on the Hankooks. You own some - so you know. Plus, I saw this week that they have been discontinued. I'll take them off the board.

Tony - Thanks for the intel on the Nexens. I've been looking at them closer since I read Nick's feedback, and that the Hankooks have been discontinued .

LC67Vert - I'm torn on going with the Diamond Backs or the Nexens. Although it's hard to see, I think the Nexen whitewall is smaller than what '63's originally came with. It may be a small enough difference that I can live with. With Diamond Backs, they will put any size WW on the tires. But then I looked at the load ratings - if I'm reading it right, those Auburn Premiums are rated for 2205 and the Nexens are 2271. Ugh. So many choices to ponder.

Well, I'm not going to get to the tire store until next week, so I still have time to think on it.
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”