Good Video

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Good Video

Post by Lee »

I’ve watched quite a few videos on the 1961-9 series, but I thought this was a cut above. Good overview and history, with a little humor thrown in.
https://youtu.be/BlJk9p2YSrA
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Good Video

Post by rick »

Thanks Lee
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Very good historical information.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I saw the listing for that video for the past few days on YouTube and never opened it until now. Being that I've been more on a idiots-crashing binge, real-world crashes have been my thing to watch. I can't really enjoy the video or see how much of my own history studies sync up with it because my stupid computer hasn't had functioning sound for nearly two years now (at least that doesn't hamper my watching the plastic-kit cars come apart in fender-benders)...but I have the link saved.

Just the first couple minutes of the video demonstrate what I've been telling naysayers who still like lampooning the '58 Edsel's looks, mainly because they've been conditioned to do so. The Lincolns of '58 make the Edsel look conservative...but the naysayers would never think of that because they never really studied automotive history in that much detail. If they did, they'd discover some other shocking (to them, anyway) factoids about the "huge-'n'-heavy" cars from the automotive "Golden Age," compared to many of today's vehicles. I hesitate to use the word "car" with today's vehicles because they aren't car-based anymore; they're truck- or truck-wagon-based, save for the dwindling number of sedans from a few years back before the American industry ditched the true cars completely.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I watched it yesterday. There wasnt any new information but I thought it was done well. It didn't drag on to be boring and didn't have anything controversial thst made you go huh? Where did that come from. Plus any Lincoln content is nice.

To add to Tony's comment about new cars they've blurred the lines in the other direction too and pretty much everything that used to be a crossover or wagon people are now calling suv's and lately they've taken it a step further and even calling some of them large suv's.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

TonyC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:22 am I saw the listing for that video for the past few days on YouTube and never opened it until now. Being that I've been more on an idiots-crashing binge, real-world crashes have been my thing to watch. I can't really enjoy the video or see how much of my own history studies sync up with it because my stupid computer hasn't had functioning sound for nearly two years now (at least that doesn't hamper my watching the plastic-kit cars come apart in fender-benders).
Tony, if you haven’t already seen it, then you may get a kick out of this. It doesn’t really need audio. It was out several years ago, and I fear this isn’t too far removed from what we should expect in our Lincolns. Those big SUVs are hardly plastic kit cars.
https://youtu.be/mJ5PcWziXT0
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Lee,

Yeah, I've seen that one. Yeah, I've heard all the old-timer naysayers use that video as their "proof" that old-timers ain't what they are made to be. For the most part they are right. Chevy was the mainstream marque for many years, so it stood to reason to use Chevys in that crash test.

That said, the video fails to factor in several details, not the least of which being that Chevrolets were never known to be safe cars; only cheap ones. And yes, there were safety assessments in the '50s, though they were limited in publicity and not government-endorsed yet (whether that was a good thing is another debate for another time). Too many people make the same ass-umptions from that video, that this is what will happen with every old-timer, every time. Just like the gross-to-net debate, common sense alone will tell you that is untrue. Different makes are built differently and thus will behave differently...and Lincolns ain't no Chevys, despite the similarities of one of their engine series to one of Ford's. In fact, Car Life put Lincolns and Chevys on opposite ends of the safety ranking they did in 1955.

I'd advise you look up a crash-test video for a 1966 Lincoln Coupé. That will give you a more realistic assessment of what to expect from our Lincolns. It's out there in YT's ether, and it is quite interesting...as is the L-boning Frankenstein went through nearly two months ago. Spoiler alert: It ain't like no Bel Air.

Oh, and yeah, SUVs are plastic-kitters as are all vehicles built today. Granted, they do weigh more than comparable vehicles in the '80s (or even in the '50s), most of that weight being focused around the cab areas, which is a good thing...but there are some differences as well as similarities, depending on whether you be referring to a Suburban or a KIA Soul. Yes, I know I risk a heated debate, but I have seen enough crash footage to know that all that mass, which by the way I subtly alluded to in an earlier post, is top-heavy. I prefer to keep my wheels on the ground and not need a CDL addendum to my driving privileges...not that such an addendum would make all that big a difference anyway, considering the ongoing commercial-transpo crisis in this country.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”