Kelly's '66 Vert

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
kelly2257

Re: Kelly's '66 Vert

Post by kelly2257 »

Lee wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:17 am ...

Kelly, it looks from your pictures as if someone has swapped out the original 3 port fuel pump. If you don’t end up going to an electric fuel pump (my recommendation, but opinions vary) you’ll want to source one.
Looking into that, not sure where this pump entered the picture, checking. As you can see, I already bought an electric pump from Summit, seems to work fine. Obviously I'm a Restomod guy so I suppose that's an option.
Washougal, WA
'66 Vert
'59 Turbo Comanche
kelly2257

Post by kelly2257 »

One more artifact: a high school buddy worked at the Lincoln dealership. This poster was on the wall in the service area until maybe the early 80's. When they took it down, he kept if for me, even had it laminated. 60" x 35", basically the '66 version of the one Brewster sells for the '64/65. I think all the illustrations are in the shop manual, but these are in color.

I have no idea how to reproduce such a thing, open to suggestions if there's interest.
PXL_20230415_175448245.jpg
Washougal, WA
'66 Vert
'59 Turbo Comanche
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Kelly, that is GREAT! I don’t even have a ‘66 and I want one.

Make sure whatever electric you go with gets decent reviews for quietness. Until I settled on the old-style Carter (with the isolation kit), I went through a couple that were just terrible. Also make sure that the fuel return line is still there and in good condition, because you’ll want some amount of continuous recirculation (you can use a 3 port regulator, or even a small orifice for the return) to keep the fuel in the line cool.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well…Tony’s a bit jealous of new members with convertibles, but he’ll come around :lol:
Lee knows me too well! :lol: I won't lie; I H8 newbies with 'verts! That will not change until the world wises up and gives me my entitlement. But, in Kelly's case I'll make an exception because that's a family heirloom we're talking about; Kelly isn't exactly a totally-clueless newbie. :smt023

I'm not an advocate of electric fuel pumps, except for dire emergencies; and even then, only as a temporary patch (I have resorted to that once, just over a month ago, actually). Get a proper 3-porter, you won't go wrong. Too many people trashed those pumps when they went bad, ignorant of the fact that these pumps are designed to be repaired, not replaced. Repairing a Carter fuel pump does not require ASE certification (all you need is the shop manual, which gives clear guidance on how to do it), and the rebuild kits are not very expensive.

The number on the warranty plate, though caveated as not to be used for registration, is identical to the actual VIN...unless somebody swapped out a driver's door (or just the plate itself, for nefarious reasons) sometime in the past. Simply cross-check the two numbers; if they match, then use the warranty plate for your registration and titling needs.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)