Original Convertible Top Supplier

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Minnesota1970!

Original Convertible Top Supplier

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Hello all,

My 1963 Lincoln convertible is pretty original. Odometer says 50K miles. Looking at the convertible top it looks to be original based on the zipper, snaps and discoloration of the back window. I can see on the plastic window the trade mark “VINYLITE” Could this be the original supplier of the convertible tops to Lincoln in 1963?

Jim
Lincoln 3.jpg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Original Convertible Top Supplier

Post by bd94s10 »

Jim,

I can't say who the original supplier was but there is only 1 place to get them from now (in most people's opinions) and that is Jim Wallace: https://sites.google.com/site/1960slincolns/

He has produced the tops for many years. I've been to his house. He has a lot to the old materials + tools, patterns, etc. for the tops/interiors.

Let him know Jason Ballard the Lincoln Addict sent you.

Keep in mind getting a good top from Jim isn't too bad in terms of price. Finding someone qualified to install it is another thing all together. If your top is nice with no rips/tears it might not be a bad idea to just keep it and see about getting a new back vinyl window (see if Wallace sells just that). Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Jason B.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Original Convertible Top Supplier

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Jim is the only one with the correct patterns, padding, and adjustments for best fit for 60s convertibles.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”