McPherson College Auto Restoration Summer Institute 2023

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

McPherson College Auto Restoration Summer Institute 2023

Post by CaptainDave »

Hi, gang

Many of us are familiar with McPherson, the only fully accredited, non-profit school that offers a Bachelors Degree in classic car restoration. It's a remarkable place that trains the best mechanics/technicians, collection managers, shop owners and auctioneers of the future.

Those are vocational students of course, but each June, McPherson offers 8-12 different courses of a week each in June. I went a few years ago for sheet metal and it was terrific. (See my article in Lincoln & Continental Comments on the experience.) https://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/institute/

I'm signed up again this year, for the first week, and wanted to see if any other forum members are going. I'm in the paint class. There are a few slots open in a few classes and for the others it makes sense to get on the waitlist (registration opens shortly before Thanksgiving and some courses are fully subscribed within the first couple hours).

It would be fun to see other forum members there and possibly coordinate travel.

Thanks!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: McPherson College Auto Restoration Summer Institute 2023

Post by TonyC »

Wow...cool! I'm not sure how helpful that would be for me given my age and condition; but were it not for the latter, I'd want to see if I could sign up using my military education benefits...that is, if I had thought about retaining them when I retired.

But this really ought to be good for others in the Forum who can still learn stuff!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

This sounds like such an awesome opportunity. I wish I lived closer. Great to see an institution training the next generation of restorers. It's definitely a dying art.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I read a story about this place once, great to know they exist. I have always said, there is a huge difference between restoration, and collision repair, it's nice to see the former is still being taught.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

frasern wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:04 am I read a story about this place once, great to know they exist. I have always said, there is a huge difference between restoration, and collision repair, it's nice to see the former is still being taught.
The biggest difference is collision repair pays the bills..

Restoration business or building classic cars is an impossible task to make any money. You end up with cars being dropped off at your shop by people with shoe string budgets then as budget gets blown away the car gets left. Doing collision repair you are billing over $100 an hour to r&r panels which pays off standard book rates where classic cars you work for pennies since you can't properly estimate the work load without cutting it apart..
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”