Stalling on Left Turns

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Stalling on Left Turns

Post by TonyC »

Not necessarily; electric fuel pumps are either good or bad, no in-between. But mechanical pumps can go in-between, on their way from good to bad. I suppose you could try getting a good replacement, but changing a fuel pump on a 460 is a bear from what I've seen of other vets who have done that job. On the other hand, if you're not sure how old that fuel pump is, it may be prudent to replace it anyway, even if it turns out not to be the cause of your problem. Being that 460 pumps are not designed to be opened up and repaired, replacement would be the only option anyway.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

Tony-

It’s the original fuel pump I have never changed it but why would it work find it idle and even if I put my foot on the break and give it gas it takes the gas just fine in the garage. I’ve done that several times to test the timing chain. I also put a timing light on to see if the mock has changed since I set the timing. It is precisely on the mock where I put it 3° advanced from the recommended setting. I know the ethanol gasoline could cause havoc to the fuel pump and the carburetor but he semi pull the carburetor apart. Everything inside looked perfect and I saw no ethanol damage whatsoever. I would hate to change a good fuel pump as I understand the placements are of inferior quality?
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

The fuel pump is one of several things that can cause a drop in fuel pressure. If pressure drops when engine stalls, you know there's an issue between the gauge and the tank pickup. If it doesn't, you know that's all good and it's probably a fuel carb problem (seems unlikely since it's flooding) or, a fuel filter issue. If fuel pressure is too high and overwhelming the floats (unlikely), I guess it's a fuel pump problem. Fuel pressure gauge would help you zero on the problem. I'd find the problem before replacing parts.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Thinking if the '73 has the same fuel line configuration as the 66-69, there might be a collapsed fuel hse in the wheel well on the driver side. Those hoses are now 50 years old and should be changed anyway.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Rob has another good point there. In fact, earlier this year in the summer, I suffered an embarrassing stall-out at the Commissary when I was going home with my groceries. I had to wait for someone kind enough to give me a jump-start because I drained the battery too much. When I was checking for a cause, I saw fuel starvation to the carburetor, likely caused by a hose that started to look in need of replacing. After I got Frankenstein home, I replaced the suspect hosing and never stalled out again.

On a related note, it's possible for the diaphragm in the pump to deteriorate and cause oddball stalling at odd times, especially with a load applied...but not necessarily all the time, though it could get that bad if unaddressed long enough.

So, yes, check your rubber hose sections as well as the pump.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

At 50 years old just change the rubber fuel line hoses. That will eliminate one possibility.
Rob
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

I also might be thinking about taking down the tank, dumping it, having it cleaned and lined (radiator shop can do this). I'd also be looking at the sock on the float for the fuel tank gauge. I bet that needs a new one and is really clogged.
Rob