1966 Top Pump/Motor rebuild project

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

1966 Top Pump/Motor rebuild project

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

My factory Convertible top pump and motor burned up this summer. The O-ring on the shaft that keeps the fluid out of the motor failed on my original. There is no warning when this fails. Just smoke coming out of the motor itself and fluid all over the inside of the motor. See photo of brushes on the old motor.

I ordered the replacement pump that’s available all over the internet. I installed it and after bleeding it fully- I would not raise the top. I sent it back for inspection. They found a stuck ball bearing. Being a "purist", I decided to rebuild an OEM pump. If it worked, I would paint the set up, to achieve the factory plating (not sure which type of plating it is- please let me know if you do).

I got a used factory pump on eBay $90. I had an electrical shop inspect the electric motor for $60. They said the motor was like new. I had a O-ring kit for the pump $25. The pump is easy to rebuild. There are only a few mechanical parts that make up the pump. Cleaning it is easy.

There is a link below to a generic “how to” video that explains the simple process for rebuilding a Convertible top pump. I will add these notes from rebuilding the pump section on my 66. When I removed the pump cover bolts inside the reservoir, they broke loose at 130 inch lbs. My rebuild kit had a third small ball bearing that isn't used. To get the shaft O-ring out, back out the two screws that hold the motor to the pump and separate the two about 3/8 inch. This will force the O-ring out of its seat so you can replace it. Don't separate too far unless you plan on having to reinstall the brushes on the motor.

https://autobodystore.com/forum/showthr ... nd-rebuild

I installed and bled the pump. It worked just like my original pump!

I decided to detail the motor and pump with the Green/Gold plated look finish of the OEM motor housing and reservoir. I didn’t want to spend $80 on the Eastwood system after reading the reviews. Plus, their system looks more gold than the factory green/gold on the OEM pump. I cleaned and sanded everything with 320 paper on all surfaces and wiped down with lacquer thinner and then SEM solve.

I applied the following coats. Some were "Full" coats and others are just a very light dusting or fog coat.

First two coats: full coats of Dupli color self-etching primer (Napa)
Third coat: Solid coat of Behr premium “Luck of the Irish” green (Home Depot online).
Fourth coat: Dusting/fog coat of Montana brand, “Montana gold” (Online)
Fifth coat: Dusting/fog coat of “Chrome spray” (sitting in my shed for decades).
Sixth coat: Dusting/fog coat of Behr Premium “Champagne Gold” (Home Depot online)
Seventh coat: solid coat of Dupli color clear engine (two light and one coat wet) Resistant to oil and fluids.

The result, is very close to the original in plating which is more greener than gold. The aftermarket finish Pictured in the back-isn't even close to the original.

Once the paint fully cures and it's in the car, I will update with photos.

IMG_2718.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg
IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg
IMG_2724.jpg

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”