64 Sedan Wiring Harness

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Humphrey

64 Sedan Wiring Harness

Post by Humphrey »

I have started restoring my 64 sedan and the wiring harness is absolutely destroyed. A previous owner just seemed to splice wires into the harness whenever and wherever they felt like it. They even installed an gm radio from the 1980's into the dash. I am going to strip the car and do a complete restore but I am god awful with electrical. Is there anywhere to buy an aftermarket or oem wiring harness for the car? Thanks
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 64 Sedan Wiring Harness

Post by TonyC »

That's sad to see. I know all about the raping of a car's nervous system, seen enough examples of it. However, the thing is that there are numerous wiring harnesses in an average clap-door, not just one all-inclusive harness. I have seen a couple harnesses for specific systems reproduced, but they were mainly for essential functions in the engine bay, not cab-situated creature-comforts.

I realize it's going to be an ordeal if you have hardly any experience with automotive neural surgery, and my suggestions may not seem to give much comfort...but hear me out. Probably the thing you can do is study the schematics of the wiring for the specific systems you need to fix, and learn to splice in new wiring of the same respective gauges as the old wiring. I know, that isn't much help, but that is how I learned...and I even learned how to add wiring to the old existing nervous system without raping the old system, for extra creature-comforts these cars never had. I too was once in your shoes, and I learned it. You can too.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I wonder if that outfit in Rhode Island or one of its various iterations is still around? Wayne
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Why couldn't you just put a Painless universal system in the car? The effort to rebuild a factory harness would be insane and then you are still trying to re use 60 year old connectors that are corroded and dry rotted. No professional restoration shop would take on this task because it opens the door to a never ending screaming custom that is constantly coming back with issues.

I have used American Auto Wire systems on multiple vehicles and loved then. The wires are labeled every six inches so there is no confusion about what circuit its for.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Here is a 65 Lincoln built by Metal Works.... This is a VERY high end build.
Screenshot_20221105_154523_Chrome.jpg
You can see on the driver's side about where the steering column goes is the fuse panel for the vehicle. This is that same panel...
https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/h ... ing-system

IMO $619 is going to be the cheapest route for doing this car. If you purchased all the weatherpack (water proof connectors
like on new vehicles) connections you would have something that was much better then the stock system ever was.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

papawayne wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:38 am I wonder if that outfit in Rhode Island or one of its various iterations is still around? Wayne
https://www.narragansettreproductions.com/

I would call them and see if they make pieces or all of the 64 wiring harness. It would be exact and authentic.

It would not be inexpensive.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

If you decide to go custom hit up RonFrancis.com. I re-wired my '67 with a Mustang kit. Of course it was not factory but it was the stock MEL 462. You can easily re-wire the car. You'll end up only with what you want to wire. I was going to put all the relays in the center console for the windows but others have them in them the doors. I was going to run Dakota Digital gauges so I ran all that separate which made the gauge side of things even easier.

https://www.ronfrancis.com

This is the only pic I could quickly find. I mounted the Express Kit fuse panel behind the glove box for easy access. I mounted it on a nice piece of wood I had which make it super simple. I then ran wires to each spot they needed to go in the car. I ran the wires to the back of the car in the factor channels along each floor board. Its honestly not as bad as you would think. It cranked over each time with the turn of the key.

Pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/w4YZIZi1DU/ ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I pulled all my wiring and replaces it with a American auto wire highway 22 kit. I couldn't find anyone that makes a kit for Lincoln so that's why I went that route. I hope to have my running by this spring but I am years of into this car. Trying to figure out the wiring for the dome light took me days and a lot of help form people on this site to figure out.
1962 Lincoln bagged

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”