Finally getting started.

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

shabah210

Finally getting started.

Post by shabah210 »

Purchased a 61 vert in 2012. I have had it stored since then. It drove it briefly in 2012. The previous owner was Kevin McInerney out of Nevada. He drove it sparingly after he purchased it in 2008. Now it is finally my time to play.
Here is my plan to revive. Would appreciate any feedback.
1. Drained the engine oil and cut open oil filter. Oil is black but has no metal or other debris in the oil or in the oil filter that I cut open.
2. Put in new oil and filter.
3. Remove spark plugs and put a little marvel mystery oil in each cylinder.
4. Occasionally rotate the motor by hand with socket.
5. Remove gas tank and have it checked and cleaned out by local shop.
6. Replace fuel filter.
7. Blow out fuel lines with carb cleaner.
8. Rebuild fuel pump with kit from Lincoln Land
9. Have the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt by local carb shop.
10. Remove radiator and have flushed and pressure tested.
11. Go through process to check the timing gears and replace as needed. Also do any other work that seems needed when front of engine exposed.
12. reassemble and do compression check.
13. start engine.

Thanks and I will take any advice.
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Finally getting started.

Post by JimA »

Replace trans fluid or at least check level, color and smell.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Welcome, Shabah. I look forward to your adventures. You're on the right track.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Sounds like a fun project and a good list! I’d recommend pulling the inner fender access plate behind the drivers front wheel. This will give you access to a section of rubber fuel line that has most likely turned spongy, thanks to the crap ethanol gas we have now.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
shabah210

Post by shabah210 »

This is why this forum is so helpful.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Pics of car? What the hell........ It is against the rulz not to post pics, or at least it should be. :grin: :o :grin:
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
shabah210

Post by shabah210 »

Working on the logistics of pic.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Congrats 210!!

Did someone on here mention "Photos" ???????? :grin:

The other guys on this forum know what you need to know. It's probably the best automobile Forum out there (and I know there are some good ones) and they have helped me immeasurably. But you have probably been lurking during your twelve year wait and already know this.

From my experience with my '61 sedan, I would move your Point 11 up the list and make it point number 2.

My car had been in storage for thirty-one years and had included accompanying service records that indicated quite low mileage.

Before I literally knew anything about these wonderful cars, I drained the old black-as-coal engine oil and refilled with new oil then successfully started the engine, ran it for half an hour then dropped the new oil out and examined it - new oil came out darker but seemed fine. Plus no metal in oil. Then I bought some more new oil and filled it up again. Engine had some carb issues but no gas leaks. Took it to a local garage for engine examination and mainly carb refresh (or so I thought).

The engine ran beautifully at this point and would idle smoothly. Yet when they dropped the oil pan it was coated with an inch of thick black gummy former engine oil that had the consistency of thick grease. Visible In amongst all this ooze were the tips of my timing sprocket.

The former owner was a female real estate dealer in L.A. who'd decided to put the car into storage because of a cracked exhaust manifold (her garage had decided to wrench it tighter rather than replace the gasket) plus she was sick of driving a 28 year old car. The engine timing had not skipped a notch or two on her - but had the potential to do so nor did it occur while I was running it............... but it certainly could have. Most of the guys on this Forum will recommend you do this timing sprocket (plus water pump at the same time and removal of two little thermostats you'll discover with the front off - don't replace the two thermostats) These timing gear parts are available from the Usual Suspects.

The tips of your Timing Sprocket are a form of melamine (early fiberglass or whatever) ....... at least that's what the broken-off tips reminded me of when I felt them. They were coated onto the metal tips of the timing sprocket to lower engine noise and it was apparently fairly common with various manufacturers at that time. This melamine substance had a shelf life of around thirty years and it didn't care how many miles were on your car. Obviously, in our cases this thirty year time span has evolved into sixty plus. :grin: :grin: ........... just like many of us have.

Send us photos of your progress. Most of us have no life and therefore enjoy spending time watching these cars get saved from the junk yard.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Sounds like a fun project. I've been slowly getting into mine the last couple years and started in the same place as you and Rick with a car that's been sitting a while.

In my case I started with popping the valve covers off and turning it over by hand to make sure none of the valves were seized as I've read on here about some other people having that problem. I also had to move it from from where I had it stored into my shop so I replaced the wheel cylinders and brake hoses and ran it off a jerry can.

The rad looked good so I never did anything with that. The fuel pump worked so I never did anything with that either and I haven't driven it other then moving it so while I did buy a carb rebuild kit it's been sitting in a box.

If you've had it stored indoors for the last 10 years you don't need much with it as far as prepping it to start goes.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Sounds like a great plan. Here is what I can offer you.

-My build thread on my '64 I document everything: https://thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/view ... hp?t=51010

-I'd suggest an aluminum radiator however I think Champion sold out so the options now on eBay are a tad more expensive although a recored or an original with no leaks might just do you fine.

-When checking the timing gear and reassembling I would suggest installing a new water pump and also removing the water diverters if you can. Video where I talk about this topic and more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIfh0cu3T8

-Checkout my YouTube Channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46SrZ ... 2lGJBcvf1w

-I also host/product Lincoln Addict Podcast: https://lincolnaddict.podbean.com

Keep us posted and definitely post pics. Its a lot easier to post them now in the forum I believe.
shabah210

Post by shabah210 »

This is a great forum and the experience of the members will make this possible. I will also do my best to search and find answers that are already on the forums. Thanks for all the great answers. I will also figure out the pics.