GOING NUTS trying to start 73 460 with ether

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

GOING NUTS trying to start 73 460 with ether

Post by Castrosua »

I want to document this, as I went NUTS for the past two days with a problem, and began to tear into the car even though NOTHING was wrong.

The car is my 73 Town Car. It sat for a few weeks, and was parked at the end of my driveway (to give space to move other cars around Im working on, this is relevant later).

Tank shows 1/8 which as many of you know, means the tank is empty or close to empy. Battery is also done, so I have been using the jump pack until I would get a new batt.

Yesterday I decide its time to give it some attention, and move it to the garage. Battery being dead did not surprise me. I crank on the jumper, and of course, after sitting, the fuel will evaporate from the carb bowl, and drain back from the pump. It needs a few good cranks to suck the gas all the way back. I decided to help it a bit by spraying some starter fluid. Car lights up, but stalls after a few seconds.

Ok, the angle of the car (nose up) made me assume the gas was not reaching the sending unit. I fill up with 10 gallons, and give it a spray. The first can emptied, so I grabbed the next one. CRC brand starting fluid.

Crank, but no start. I try again. And again. I cranked until the jumped drained. Charged it up again, then drained it AGAIN.

So, I test spark strength. Its good. I check fuel, and its spurting when cranking just fine. So the only other thing, would be a stuck metering pin. I bang the carb, and nothing. I kept trying between each test, and no start.

Then I decided on a whim to try using a different brand of starter fluid I had in the cabinet.

Wouldn't you know, the car started right up, no issues. I sprayed the CRC while running, and the car died immediately.

So, in the future, before you tear apart a carb, make sure its not the starting fluid. Whatever CRC makes, seems to have a shelf life of about 2 years. I felt I was going mad, but couldn't help but laugh at how silly of a problem this was. I've used CRC for many years, not just for starting fluid but many other sprays and chemicals. But this seriously eroded my trust in them.

Sta-BIL makes starting fluid now, so Im giving that brand a chance now. Its ether with a few lubricants in it ffs! CRC, get you crap together lol.

So, if you have issues with no starts, before you start tearing things apart, keep two brands of starting fluid and swap out the can. :D

PS, 73 still runs like a champ, but at barely over 50k miles, I wouldnt expect anything less from the 460!
Alex
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body