Need new leather interior for my 63 Lincoln

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Need new leather interior for my 63 Lincoln

Post by TonyC »

So...that will mean another road trip next year? After all, you have to get the car to Jim somehow. Good, will be cool to do a rematch for next year's mileage challenge. :D :wink:

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Jim doesn't do the installation; just sells the stuff.
jkh290
Occasional Visitor

Post by jkh290 »

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Stu, you made the right choice!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

jkh290 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:54 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/3PChaZD12w25EGXr7

Jim Wallace did my seats
Jim those look great!
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

My security software blocks anything google docs/pix.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

jkh290 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:54 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/3PChaZD12w25EGXr7

Jim Wallace did my seats
Jim Heutel - Again, those seats look great! Did you install them yourself or did you have a local car upholstery shop do them? Would love to hear / learn more about how that process worked as I have contemplated new Jim Wallace seat leathers for my '63 for some time.

What about your interior leather door panels - are those original or did you replace them too?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

So it's been over a year and Jim still can't get what he needs for the leather.

Anyone else I should try or should I just keep waiting?

Luckily for me, the leather is a "nice to have" and not a "need to have?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

With my own experience in acquiring leather for Frankenstein, I really have no input except for this: If Jim has not yet given up in his search, and if it's more a want than a need for you, maybe give Jim a little flexibility. If he says he gives up on finding leather, then that would be time to embark on that quest yourself.

My experience was terrible, but at least I have the skin. Now I need an upholstery shop to do the job. I'm much closer now to prospective options, but still trying to settle in.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My gut tells me that if Jim can't get it, nobody can. But someone not as fussy might get something "close".
I would give Jim some more time.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Jim is a super nice guy. My buddy Tony has bought a lot of stuff from Jim and is also waiting on a full interior for one of his cars. To me it comes down to time. If you don't mind waiting and have the time then I'd say wait.. especially if you are wanting everything correct... but I will tell you there are several more than capable of people in the Lincoln Community that can do what you need. Nick at Slab Shack in Arizona is one. I'm in FL but I've debated on shipping my car out there... I would but then I have other connections to some high end places that I know can do what I want.

Example there is a guy here in the Tampa Bay area that is working on my buddy's '68 sedan. Its more custom but it is spectator. The guy is retired and he is doing it on the side and its taking some time but man is it top notch! I've waited years and years for things and now i'm in my mid 40s. I don't mind waiting (I'm super patient) but I want to know why I'm waiting. Others can get material so is it just Jim's supplier? Those are the things I like to get the to bottom of. I waited 18 months to chrome my rear '64 bumper.. why? Well Advanced Plating is the best in the world + they had a bad fire before I dropped my parts off. I knew when I dropped my parts off it was going to be a bit before they got going again. Well 18 months later I had a re-chromed bumper. I waited because I knew what I would be getting.

In closing, like others have said, Jim is the man. I've been to his place and he is super busy. I wish you the best with your decision.

Here are some pics of my red '65 Lincoln Continental convertible that Robert DeFrang owned. He had the interior done up in the WA area years ago (I have the receipt at home). It proves often you can get really nice quality work locally! Note: he had the seats done and the door panels are original.

Image1965 Lincoln Continental "Rita Hayworth" by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Re done seats

Image1965 Lincoln Continental "Rita Hayworth" - Leather Seats by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Image1965 Lincoln Continental "Rita Hayworth" - Leather Seats by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

I do really like original leather so much more myself.. even if cracking... but here you can see what Robert was dealing with. I won't lie that although I do like originality I was happy he had these re-done... especially when they get so bad that tape is needed to hold the leather together.

Image1965 Lincoln Continental "Rita Hayworth" - Leather Origional Seats by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Jason B.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Heard from Jim; leather is coming from Italy on Monday. Getting close!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

O, good! Italian leather, wow...that must be worth at least a half-year's pension.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’ll bet it’s still cheaper than sourcing the original Bridge of Weir leather.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”