Rear Window Gasket

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

rejordan73

Rear Window Gasket

Post by rejordan73 »

Has anyone replace the Window Gasket for a 1964 LC sedan? I had to replace mine and could not find the exact replacement so water now leaks into the trunk. I've reached out to Steele Rubber and they are not planning on fabricating one. They did ask me if I had an original to use a mold to make a replacement. If anyone had to replace theirs and was able to do so without any issues, let me know how you did it.

Can anyone get a hold of an original gasket for a 64 LC sedan to so we can send it to Steele Rubber?

Thanks in advance.

RJ
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Rear Weather Strip

Post by TonyC »

Izzatafact...? Well, I don't have a '64 model, but somehow I can't imagine that the weatherstrip for the trunk would be all that different from the type used in '66, save for the overall length. I could be wrong about that, as I've never thought of comparing the cross-sections of the two years' strips; maybe somebody who has can chime in. If they are in fact the same, check with Steele again to see if they have weatherstrip for a later year. If they aren't the same, check with the Usual Suspects (LincolnLand, Brewer's Classic Lincolns, Old Car Clearance [formerly Baker's Auto], Stinkin' Lincoln, etc.).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Rear Window Gasket

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Rock Auto has them. $36/per.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
rejordan73

Re: Rear Weather Strip

Post by rejordan73 »

Tony, I checked on SteeleRubber and they don't carry a 64 rear Window Gasket. I'll keep checking on other sites and get back to you. But in the past when I was searching for the rear window gasket everyone told me to call Steele Rubber.

LithiumCobalt, I checked Rock Auto and could not the rear window gasket. Can you send me the part number.

Thanks,
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

He's talking trunk seal. It only became aparent in your last post you were looking for the window gasket.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
rejordan73

Post by rejordan73 »

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm looking for a rear window gasket for a 64 Continental Sedan.

Maybe someone out there is parting up a 64 and wouldn't mind taking out the rear window gasket and sending it to Steele Rubber to see if they can use it to fabricate new one's. I ended up buying one that was supposed to be for a 64, but never really worked to good. Every time it rains, water comes in the trunk thru the rear wheel wells.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Weatherstripping and window gaskets are entirely different animals in the automotive world.
Weatherstripping is generally the term used between moving panels. The word Gasket tends to be used to seal fixed panels.

I say "tends to".

Thanks for clarifying. Have you contacted any of the Usual Suspects like Lincoln Land or Mark II Enterprises?

I checked the MPC and the Back Window Weatherstrip, as Ford calls it, for 1964 is PN C4VY-5342084-A. It is not the same PN as is for 61-63 as I thought it might be.

However, it is the same as 1965 sedans, so be sure to ask for either.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, when I read the post originally I inferred trunk seal, not window gasket. Sorry about that. :oops:

I can see how difficult it would be to get a gasket for the rear window; it's painful enough just to get one for the windshield. I hope somebody can give you a good direction to steer for a replacement.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”