Locked toolbox

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Locked toolbox

Post by Castrosua »

So, fair warning, Im in the pits right now. I need my tools for my job.

Mac MB9200 tool box, with the 9100 chest on top and a side cabinet, from 1987. Was fine for a year. It belonged to my father, then he sold it, and then found it decades later. It was looking like new, but today the lock decided that it would turn, but won't unlock.

I tried wedging a steel ruler and tried to push the lock rails up. No go. They are jammed so tight as if theyre welded.
Flipping the box won't do anything since the rails dont budge with impact much less whatever weight they have.
I looked in the gap, and no tools slid to get jammed.
Even if I cut the box in the back, I dont think I could unstick the rails. I dont know how or why theyre jammed, cant see a cause. I just feel like Im losing it.

Cutting the box seems to be the only options, and it would have to be cut up in pieces. I have some tools that I could have tried, like long forceps, and other things, but guess where those are...

Any hints? Ideas? Obviously cutting the box is not ideal. I would have to replace it, and right now thats not possible. Also its family value is important (or is it? Like I said, Im down on this one. I worked to make the foam inserts, and it was a pain, took me forever. I am not doing that again, tools in cardboard boxes). New boxes are insane, plus I can only find one that would fit between the other box, and a beam holding the roof up.

I cant help but think how those guys that mistreat and abuse their tools, cars never seem to have issues. Those that take care of them...or at least me, I seem to have these dumb little problems that blow up in my face.

Thanks
Attachments
Both used, reconditioned, yada yada...Red one is the MAC, bottom is locked. All my big, long tools are in there.
Both used, reconditioned, yada yada...Red one is the MAC, bottom is locked. All my big, long tools are in there.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Locked toolbox

Post by mge825y »

How about calling a Locksmith - I bet they can figure it out.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

A mechanical failure in the box has jammed the drawer locking mechanism?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I would contact Mac, it may even have a lifetime warranty.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Called local locksmith...he didnt want to come. Said he would be charging me for nothing since he can't do a thing about it.

@Dan, yeah. I think the springs that pull the lock rails busted (if it has them. Some do, some dont, cant recall if this has them,) although I would still be able to lift the lock rail with the key when turned. I was able to look inside, and the entire locking mechanism, except the key and the shaft that goes from the lock to the back (those turn fine), everything else looks fused.

@frasern I will call them tomorrow, but Mac is not known for their service on older boxes. Matco, sure. Snap-on definitely. But Mac used to be a great company prior to Dewalt buying them. Its even worse now with most of their tools made in Taiwan. Might as well buy the Dewalts, since they have a bigger market, and care about reputation, so they swap out things. But that wont help me now lol.

I will still try calling MAC. They do have a thing about "second hand" toolboxes, but, is it? If my father bought it, and its back in the family and just have him call the Mac customer service, then its back to first hand. If I had a few other stronger guys, we could pick it up, flip it over without slamming it on the ground to destroy the box. Open one drawer upside down, then flip it back and I have access...I was thinking of using the engine hoist, but the strap would have to be around the drawers (unless I go long ways, but not sure I'd have the clearance with the hoist.

How dumb would it be to call a rotator? You know, big tow truck to lift it up and spin it around? Im guessing its still cheaper than a new box.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep you updated!
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

Have you considered drilling out the lock?
1970 Mark III Lincoln
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

Have you considered drilling out the lock?
1970 Mark III Lincoln
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Maybe the sliding part that locks it is fine and it's how it connects to the lock that broke since it spins.
I'd drill out the lock first then see if you can buy whatever tool you think would work to go from there.
I have one tool box that locks like that and always leary about something screwing up, especially on some boxes you can feel drawers sticking like the lock mechanism is sort of sitting on the catch.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Google some toolbox hacks and get it open using the appropriate method. You're not the first person to which this has happened.
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

If you drill the lock out you will find the rod the connects to the locking mechanism. Lift it up to release the drawers.
1970 Mark III Lincoln
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is the lock picking lawyer and what I have here today is a terrible example of security used to protect thousands of dollars of tools.
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

I agree, a replacement lock is under $10.00.
1970 Mark III Lincoln
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by suburban_gorilla »

Dude call the bloody manufacturer for some advice. This can't be the first time in history this has happened. Good companies that sell good products will provide you with tech support and advice FOR FREE if you ask nicely. They designed the thing so they should know how to fix it, or tell you how to fix it. They might even have a repair kit for it. Doing jimmy job shit hack work is going to wreck your stuff.
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
1962 Lincoln Continental, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE, 2017 BMW X5
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS [sold], 2008 Honda Pilot [sold], 1987 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance [sold], 2007 Acura CSX [gone]
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Ok, update time.

I did drill a 1/4 hole in the top of the box, where it would have the least impact on structural rigidity. I was able to snake a wire hanger (cut and bent) and snagged onto the mechanism and lifted. I must have pulled with at least 60lbs upwards, and the drawers were able to open.

It was a compound problem, and nobody has ever had it before, at least since the internet. The rails that lock each drawer bind a bit, so I removed the anti-theft springs, since their weight is enough to lock things down.

Also, the lock tumbler has a notch to keep it rotating only 90 degrees. It has broken off, and the lock spun too much. This put pressure directily on the lock rod (which screws in the butt of the lock) and thus it loosened, so no amount of key turn would spit the rod.

I ordered new lock sets from MAC (P/N: MB 3L8011) but who knows when they arrived. I swapped out a good lock from the top chest and mounted it so I can put things back (drawers and all). The top chest is easy to access the lock without removing anything, so whenever they get here, I just screw it in and done.

Im still bummed about drilling that hole, since the box is in very good condition, and finding a 9100/9200 series Anniversary edition box is impossible. Im glad at least I could get the locks. They were 18 dollars plus shipping each (with 2 keys)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can understand the frustration of having to "sabotage" something; but at least you got into it without destroying it, and you have a plan on repairing it. Maybe you can cover the hole with one of those round metal plugs that press into holes like hubcaps; get one of the right size, paint it the same color, and press in...that way, nobody will notice, and you still retain emergency access should that happen again.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”