Green Type F in Power Steering Pump

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Green Type F in Power Steering Pump

Post by Castrosua »

Hey guys, long time, back (just a bit slower, been busy, but a good kind of busy)

Anyway, I was waking up Lorelei, my 72 Continental (for anyone new I dont know) and I just cant remember why the fluid is green. I looked through all my records, and thats the one thing I did not mark down, as to what I had added (it could be smuged, my forms got dirty during that job).

I do recall that it was ok, and there was some reason for the green fluid, that maybe Type F at one point briefly was green? I dont have issues with it, havent had anything wrong with PS for over 10 years, but its a bit low and do need to add, and I cant just dump red Type F.

Anyone recall that? I did look in the search but I never realized how often the terms ATF, red, green pop up lol.

Thanks,
Alex
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Green Type F in Power Steering Pump

Post by Solid »

There is a green ATF used by Audi/VW and maybe others so it is probably that. I can't remember if CHF is green like the cans it comes in anymore. As you noted, it probably doesn't matter since it is just being used as a hydraulic fluid. Aside maybe from shift behavior I doubt that the Dex III/Type F thing really matters much. Maybe I've misread it, but it doesn't seem like Ford changed relevant parts like friction material when they made the switch to Type F from Type A in the slabsides, implying that Dexron and Type F are broadly similar fluid.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I maintain that I cannot abide that last comment. That's like saying Type "O+" blood will go fine in a patient with Type "AB-" blood, because blood is blood; it's got the same core molecular structure, and the friction materials if any are trivial. I have had experience in mixing Dexron in a Type F transmission, and it wasn't pleasant. But let's best save the elaboration of this dispute to the ATF sub-forum.

More interesting is the green fluid. I know that Saabs used Type F in the '80s, but I didn't think VW did, regardless of color. Bessie (an Audi Series-80 I had in Germany for those who don't remember or know) used the conventional (and red) Dexron in her auto-tranny, and she was made in '89. But does the green tint have extra attributes that make it so different from the same type of fluid with a red tint, besides coloring the ATF to look like engine oil?

I'd really like to see an example of this green Type F fluid. Any shots to share?

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I was not aware that there was EVER a type F fluid available in Green. Ford had a part number for CLEAR Type F, but I’ve never even seen clear for sale in public.

How can you be sure it’s type F?
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Ok, I may have omitted that the fluid is in the PS pump, not the actual transmission. That fluid is regular ole Type F thats red.

The PS fluid, supposedly is green Type F, and has been that way for as long as Ive had the car, over 10 years now, with no issues. I may do a chemical analysis and drain the system (joy) and just replace it with the regular stuff. But I was curious if anyone else ran into this, since Im not keen on mixing two types. Flushing it out and replacing it shouldnt be an issue either, unlike with the trans.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’d like to see what green Type F looks like and why you think it’s Type F if it is green. But if it’s working, don’t mess with it. It’s not worth flushing. It doesnt go bad as it’s basically a sealed system.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I didn't buy this crap, it was given to me, but the stuff inside is amber, who knows what happens to the colour when it's mixed in with old fluid.
DSCF5535 (2).JPG
It is sold by Canadian Tire, however I'm sure there are equally bad auto part vendors south of the border who would also stoop as low.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Name brand it isn’t, but who am I to judge?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Can you post the back of that bottle? I want to see what spec it meets.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Im curious too about that stuff. It is on my list to get a sample sent out and analyzed. I still may flush the system out just to not have this worry about this misery fluid
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Sorry Dan, I saw your first response, but missed the follow up until now. The back is the same as the front, but in french.
DSCF5537 (2).JPG
This is the side panel, the contents are the same colour as motor oil. I expect it is compatible with dextron III, My objection is more with the marketing angle. They make it appear to work in everything, then put "check your owner's manual specs" in tiny print on the side panel. Also, they are trying to imply that ATF is not the correct fluid. The whole thing appears to prey on people's gullibility.
I was given a dentside parts truck, and this was inside it, I have no objection to using it in a newer system, but wouldn't pay a higher price. The truck it was in, should have had type F
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

M2c128D is not Type-F. It is power steering fluid made for early to later 70s Lincolns.
Dan Szwarc wrote: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:33 pm Sorry I for my non-answer. I was at work and not near my Lincoln. :smt010

Look for fluid that says "meets Ford M2C128C or D". That's the Ford spec that the fluid must meet. I use Valvoline Syn-Power Power Steering Fluid. Well, I use it because that's all I could find in a name brand.

ValvoinePSF.png
http://www.valvoline.com/products/consu ... g-fluid/29

Don't buy anything that says "Compatible with ALL power steering fluids". That means is mostly wax-filled oil which is crap.

Edit: apparently, they don't make it anymore. Post edited. Picture changed.
As always, check your owners manual for the proper fluid spec.

There are LOTS of posts about PS fluid here. Read them carefully.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”