Centennial Celebration Trip

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Centennial Celebration Trip

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

So we left on Saturday, August 6 for the 2 day drive out to Dearborn. Nice trip out, luckily with no problems. Checked into the Dearborn Inn (not impressed) and went to the opening event at Fair Lane. Very nice that we were able to get in (place has been closed since 2013 when they started the renovations) and got to hang with Edsel II. Of course, I got pictures....

Since we had done most of the scheduled events before, on Monday we went back to the Rouge plant and spent time with some of the guys & gals. Hung out Tuesday and had dinner with the group at the Henry Ford Museum. Very nice event, and we had the entire museum to ourselves after dinner and a quick talk by Michael Sprague and Joy Falotico, who presented the LMCHM with a $100,000 check. Guess we all now need to go buy a Lincoln! :grin:

Wednesday morning was the show at World HQ, with the ability to check out the new Lincolns inside, including the Star. Had lunch in the employee cafeteria, then headed out to Kalamazoo.

Thursday did the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary (went the wrong way and ended up in front of someone's house), then over to the Kellogg Mansion. We created our own "hospitality room" since the bar at the host hotel closed at 10 pm with a room full of people ready to drink!

Friday was the tour of Marshall, MI, then back to the museum for a dinner cookout and haning out with everyone. In between, we were able to get a tour of the 2 barns the Gilmore has of cars that are not on display. While we weren't able to peak under the car covers, we did see some stuff we've never seen before; a 1921 Roamer, a 1923 Barley, the Regan Cadillac prototype, and a really cool 1960 Checker station wagon. As we were leaving, found out one of my headlights was out, so I drove with my high beams on. However, less than a mile from the hotel, the lights went out randomly when I stepped on the brakes.

Saturday it poured cats & dogs & chicken & sheep and all other assorted farm animals. There were 100+ cars on the show field, all getting a free car wash. Dan, Doug & Brian came out for awhile, then back to the hotel. Here's where the problem started.....

On the way to the Gilmore, the defroster worked fine. On the way home, nothing! Heat was fine, but the vacuum flap wouldn't move to push the air to the windshield. So, opened the wing windows and off we went. Went back for the evening dinner/awards celebration (with Michael Sprage speaking agian) with friends.

Sunday we headed home with no problems. Monday night, no issues with the lights going out, so we'll see what happens.

Overall, a really great trip. It was super hanging out in our own hospitality room, which I think may be a new thing now.

Will upload pictures once I figure out why I can't now.

If you haven't been to the museum, you need to go. If you have, you may want to go back. There's going to be a very intersting 1928 L LeBaron Aerophaeton that was just loaned to the museum which is SUPER cool!!

Total miles: 1,870
Total gas: 140 gals.
Average MPG: 13.4
Cost of gas: $648
Cost per mile: .35

Pretty much done for the year; just maybe a couple of local shows, although I do need to get the Packard out; it feels neglected!
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Centennial Celebration Trip

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Can now post pictures, Dan to the rescue!!!
Attachments
Fair Lane, Dearborn, MI.JPG
Jerry's Curb Service 2, Beaver,. PA.JPG
Haines Shoe House, York, PA.JPG
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Now thats what a Lincoln should look like.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
suburban_gorilla
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by suburban_gorilla »

yep, Stu your car is super dope. Glad to see it looking crisp after all these years. enjoy her.
Omar

Toronto, Canada.
1962 Lincoln Continental, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE, 2017 BMW X5
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS [sold], 2008 Honda Pilot [sold], 1987 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance [sold], 2007 Acura CSX [gone]
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Awesome. Congrats on another successful trip. Looks great. I love it seems easier to post photos now! Thanks Dan!!!

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”