‘72 passenger outside mirror

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Re: ‘72 passenger outside mirror

Post by Goldstar »

Before I start installing the mirror and cutting holes in my door, I want to get an idea of how the control cables are routed, particularly where they exit the door and enter the body. Could I trouble some one with a Mark iv passenger mirror for a pic of your door jam showing these locations?
My door has one main rubber conduit for seat and window wires, and, surprisingly, what looks like a second, smaller hole right beneath this. It even has a rubber escutcheon around it and is definitely “stock”.
Attachments
624A4B74-3BD5-4F80-A47E-011F724EB9AA.jpeg
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

I could use some help here. It’s asking a lot, but would anyone with a Mark IV with a passenger door mirror be willing to look and tell me where the mirror cables exit the passenger door?
The above pic shows a hole just below the main rubber conduit which isn’t on the driver door. I’m thinking it’s for the cables because the driver door mirror cables don’t exit the door, they go to the arm rest. Just trying to see how to route the passenger door cables, specially where they exit the door.
Thank you!!!
Peter
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Oh well, no joy on the Lincoln site recently. I’ll have to look for an answer elsewhere.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Traffic ain’t what it used to be.
That plastic plug is likely where the cables transferred between the body and there should be one on the door corresponding.

Remember that the passenger cables will reach all the way to someplace in the center dash where the driver can reach. It’s a mess under those dashboards.
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thanks Dan. I’m hoping that is the case. What is puzzling is if passenger mirrors were not available in ‘72 why are there holes for them?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

They may just have been body holes that were part of production, which serendipitously served the extra purpose of threading the mirror cables through once that option became commonly available. I too had issues trying to find the right place to worm my own mirror cables into Frankenstein years ago; and I recently discovered that the spot I chose was a bad choice. They work, but I threaded them through a hole in the lower door hinge, which I now realize I have to remove in order to fix a problem with the pivot pin working loose all the time when I open that door. To really seat that pin back where it belongs and cure that problem, I have to remove the door hinge...but before I can do that, I have to remove the cables to the mirror. I think I can remove them at the adjustment wand, which would be much easier and less risky than removing the mirror glass... but I still have to confirm that.

Actually, there's a story behind that mirror. As most vets know, the starboard-side mirror for clap-doors had its adjustment mechanism planted onto the passenger door, which does the driver no good (and it's the driver whom that mirror is supposed to help, not the passenger). When I acquired a starboard mirror for Frankenstein, the first thing I did was snag longer cables from an organ donor (a Ford car, not specifically Lincoln) of a later year and swap them into the mirror, planting the adjustment wand in the center of the dash pad for easier access from the driver's seat. It actually looks very good where it is, and nobody even notices the difference. But I did all that in the car, as I was having a very hard time finding a good spot in the car's unibody to thread the cables through. I chose the hole that went through the lower door hinge. Then, later, I discovered the pivot-pin problem in that hinge. Since installing my latest power-lock system to replace the old one I had installed, I discovered another potential routing for those cables...but the trick is to remove them and thread them back out of that hole and into the other one. I never removed the cables from the adjustment wand of the organ donor's mechanism, so I have to check to see how practical that would be. I hope it is, because I'd prefer not to have to disassemble the mirror itself again.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Goldstar wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:43 pm Thanks Dan. I’m hoping that is the case. What is puzzling is if passenger mirrors were not available in ‘72 why are there holes for them?
Extra holes for old school vacuum locks (maybe replaced by electric), copy-paste designs from the 60s, future options not yet available, it's impossible to know.

But if they are there, take advantage of them, especially if it means not removing the doors to install a mirror.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Trust me, they don't. I've installed two starboard mirrors on two different cars, and neither case ever required removing the whole door, just the inner paneling.

By '72 they changed to electric locks. The Mark IIIs may have still retained the vacuum system into '71, but I'm pretty sure the full-sizers went to electric locks starting in '70. Of course, that is subject to refutation by anyone who actually has a '70/'71 full-sizer and knows otherwise.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thanks boys. Before I do anything, I still hope to find a factory install I can look at first to see how the factory routed the cables, not only through the door, but under the dash.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

TonyC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:48 am Trust me, they don't. I've installed two starboard mirrors on two different cars, and neither case ever required removing the whole door, just the inner paneling.

By '72 they changed to electric locks. The Mark IIIs may have still retained the vacuum system into '71, but I'm pretty sure the full-sizers went to electric locks starting in '70. Of course, that is subject to refutation by anyone who actually has a '70/'71 full-sizer and knows otherwise.

---Tony
The Mark III's (at least the 70-71) have a hybrid vacuum-electric system. Mostly vacuum controlled with electric solenoids rather than the old vacuum valves.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Here is a page from the '77 manual, Mk V may be similar, as they are mostly the same under the skin.
DSCF5602 (2).JPG
oddly, it is in the electrical manual, not the body manual.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Wow, just what I’m looking for, thank you very much! I’m missing some parts I’ll have to fabricate:
1) the internal clip keeping the cables from fouling the window;
2) the reinforcement bracket underneath the mirror, and
3) the bracket behind the dash for the joy stick.
Hope the Mark V is the same as the Mark IV.
Thanks again, very much appreciated.
Peter
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

And if you happen to damage that dash pad during installation, there is a really nice one here! https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... hp?t=53957
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Forgive the shameless plug, I have too much time on my hands today.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

After much wrangling, I’m going to punt and install just the mirror, and not the cable or remote joy stick. I’ll disconnect the control cable, set the mirror at the right angle and fill the space behind the mirror with construction insulation foam that hardens so it doesn’t flop around. Yes there is a cheesiness to this solution, but I think it will work and serve my purpose.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”