2020 Suicide Door Continental headed to auction

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

2020 Suicide Door Continental headed to auction

Post by Dan Szwarc »

https://fordauthority.com/2022/02/2020- ... o-auction/
The 2020 Lincoln Continental Coach Door represented the second year for the unique, range-topping model. As Ford Authority previously reported, Lincoln decided to continue production of the Coach Door after the 2019 iteration sold out within 48 hours. Regardless, all examples are already collectible, as the total production run for both years amounted to just 230 units. Which means this particular example is practically guaranteed to ignite a bidding war when it makes an appearance at the Glendale 2022 event, which is currently scheduled to run from March 16th to 19th.

We’ll have more cool auctions like this to share soon, so subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Lincoln news and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 2020 Suicide Door Continental headed to auction

Post by TonyC »

Very nice, I must say...I'll admit, IF I were partial to newer cars, and IF I had the 6-figure $Gs to burn, I would probably look into adding one of those to my collection, bringing my total fleet size to a whopping 2 cars (well, I would likely go for my 'vert entitlement first, so I guess that would make this new one the third in the fleet). :lol: On the other hand, I did read an article today regarding Lincoln's slippage in overall quality based on a Consumer Reports review. On the other hand, Consumer Reports has occasionally missed the mark in the past, so for something like this Continental I'd take the risk. After all, if I had the $Gs to buy it, that would also mean that I would have the $Gs to have it serviced.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Given the current market with the feeding frenzy on anything and everything, I won't be surprised if it goes for an astronomical price.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

It will be interesting to see what this one brings. There are still a few new/untitled "Coach Door Edition" models out there for around MSRP, plus some used ones have been going for at least $20,000 less than original MSRP.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I would be all over that Continental if it was electric.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Lincoln is expected to unveil its first fully electric vehicle this year, and plans to be an all-electric brand by 2030.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

"Lincoln is expected to unveil its first fully electric vehicle this year, and plans to be an all-electric brand by 2030."

I've heard that before....

Was at a LCOC show back in the mid 2010's and was talking with the mid America director of Ford and asked him when Ford was coming out with an electric car. His answer was "The first electric car won't be a Ford". So I said, oh well, I guess I'll look at a Tesla to which he replied "No, I said the first elctric car won't be a Ford (meaning it would be a Lincoln".

Still waiting on that one.......
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I'd buy one if they become decent price or I ever gave the money to burn. The 'news Continental that is, not electric.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:"Lincoln is expected to unveil its first fully electric vehicle this year, and plans to be an all-electric brand by 2030."

I've heard that before....

Was at a LCOC show back in the mid 2010's and was talking with the mid America director of Ford and asked him when Ford was coming out with an electric car. His answer was "The first electric car won't be a Ford". So I said, oh well, I guess I'll look at a Tesla to which he replied "No, I said the first elctric car won't be a Ford (meaning it would be a Lincoln".
We had this discussion at least once before - https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... =8&t=48425

The director's statement, as you posted it, didn't make sense since the Ford brand already had a fully electric car at the time in the Focus Electric which had been out since the 2012 model year.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ContiFan wrote:The director's statement, as you posted it, didn't make sense since the Ford brand already had a fully electric car at the time in the Focus Electric which had been out since the 2012 model year.
A car with a 90 mile range is easy to ignore because no one really bought them.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Dan Szwarc wrote:A car with a 90 mile range is easy to ignore because no one really bought them.
The Focus Electric''s range was similar to many other BEVs available at the time including the BMW i3, Chevrolet Spark EV, Fiat 500e, Nissan Leaf, Volkswagen e-Golf, etc.

My point is that for the director to say the Ford brand wasn't going to be the first (before Lincoln) didn't make sense since it already was the first.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

The two "Coach Door" Continentals at the Glendale auction sold for good money (as are a lot of cars right now). The 2019 80th Anniversary Edition with 100 miles brought $137,500 and the 2020 with 42 miles brought $132,000.

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”