70/71 Mark III Right hand mirror

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 70/71 Mark III Right hand mirror

Post by TonyC »

Just like Tony will never reproduce RH mirrors, I have not mounted the one I bought for my Mark III.
Gee, Action, thanks a whole lot for that vote of confidence. :angry-tappingfoot: Excuse me for being a pissant little retired Army Staff Sergeant; I just don't have the equipment, or the cash to buy said equipment, that Gilbe Ko has on hand. He stole my idea and made his own repro prototypes because he had cash on hand to buy 3-D computer programs and printers. But Ko did not pick up on the design changes I have in mind, so his repros are no better than the already-flawed OEs; worse, considering he likely hasn't molded his prototypes for adjustment cables.

Anyway, war of words aside, I still have to wonder whether the Mark III mirrors were designed to work on either side. With what I have seen just with the '69 design, I suspect they were.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

TonyC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:44 pm
Gee, Action, thanks a whole lot for that vote of confidence. :angry-tappingfoot: Excuse me for being a pissant little retired Army Staff Sergeant; I just don't have the equipment, or the cash to buy said equipment,

Anyway, war of words aside, I still have to wonder whether the Mark III mirrors were designed to work on either side. With what I have seen just with the '69 design, I suspect they were.

---Tony
Tony,

Your military status is not a factor in this. But thank you for your service.
And my vote carries no weight in your matter.
I am just making a statement of fact of what is.

And what is .... is you have posted your desire to make RHO mirrors for this period of Lincolns for maybe a decade. And that has not come to pass. I would suggest it is your capacity that is lacking. And you have stated as such above. Understand that it is not good or bad however it is a situation you have expressed of yourself for a very long time. I would suggest that you give up expressing that desire until you have capacity to carry out said desire. Just a suggestion.

As to Mark III mirrors, wonder no more! The left hand outside rear view mirror was never designed or is easily capable of being used on the opposite side. I cannot make the same statement about the right side as I have not physically had one in my possession. However I would bet it was not designed to be used on the left side. Nor is easily adaptable to the right side.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

---Tony
Tony,

Your military status is not a factor in this. But thank you for your service.
And my vote carries no weight in your matter.
I am just making a statement of fact of what is.

And what is .... is you have posted your desire to make RHO mirrors for this period of Lincolns for maybe a decade. And that has not come to pass. I would suggest it is your capacity that is lacking. And you have stated as such above. Understand that it is not good or bad however it is a situation you have expressed of yourself for a very long time. I would suggest that you give up expressing that desire until you have capacity to carry out said desire. Just a suggestion.
Yeah, I had this idea for years; what of it?! I had the idea but not the factory to realize the idea...ex-CUUUUSE MEEEEE for not being rich! My military service very much factors in this; a Staff Sergeant's pension is not the same amount as a Major General's pension. I put out feelers hoping to find a partner in this venture; instead, I found condescending cowards, and one thief. But, maybe you have a point. The only person who did not shoot down my idea stole it for himself. At least he forgot to steal the design improvement...and it is best that I don't remind him. So, how much would editable 3-D softwares and 3-D printers that can work metal (like aluminum, for example) go for on today's market? Just so I know how much pension I have to set aside every month. I trust you know more about this than I do, Action.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

You are only excused if you drop the matter or take action.
Because based on your current thinking and limitations, it is never going to happen.
And seeing your wish posted time and time again, becomes annoying to read and re-read and re-read.
The annoying part is nothing has happened. (EVER) You write about this frequently. And that is all that happens. Like you are venting.
Pretty sure you have heard the cliche, "Crap or get off of the pot" (And there are other words than crap that I would like to use)

I have seen people with far less resources than you claim to have, do far more than make an outside rear view mirror.
You want to move forward, find a way. (There has to be dozens of ways maybe more. And yes it will be scary! Buck up Buttercup)
If you are unwilling to move forward, then drop the matter. The repetition is annoying.

Mind you, if you choose to just post that idea again and again and do nothing, then observations of those facts should be fair game for everyone. Especially in a thread that I created.

Action
Last edited by action on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

TonyC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Yeah, I had this idea for years; what of it?! I had the idea but not the factory to realize the idea...ex-CUUUUSE MEEEEE for not being rich! My military service very much factors in this; a Staff Sergeant's pension is not the same amount as a Major General's pension. I put out feelers hoping to find a partner in this venture; instead, I found condescending cowards, and one thief. But, maybe you have a point. The only person who did not shoot down my idea stole it for himself. At least he forgot to steal the design improvement...and it is best that I don't remind him. So, how much would editable 3-D softwares and 3-D printers that can work metal (like aluminum, for example) go for on today's market? Just so I know how much pension I have to set aside every month. I trust you know more about this than I do, Action.

---Tony
Man I really hope you didn't just do your 20 and completely retire at the age of 40.. E6 retirement with or without a disability check would be devastating financially if you didn't have another form of income. I hope you are contacting or at least working range control at Riley to help offset this inflation.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, no, actually. I retired at 52 (joined when I was 30), tried putting out feelers to local law firms that advertised a need for a paralegal, then gave up after about five or so silent rejections (I wasn't young enough, female enough, nor pretty enough for the job fillings). By that time I realized that my pension alone was enough to keep my lifestyle stable, though not at all opulent, so I felt no need to look for another job; probably for the better, as the only thing that men like me are perceived at being any use for is menial labor...which I know I can no longer do after my fatal heart-attack two years after I retired. I am currently on 60% VA disability, which helps as well; some have suggested I request a re-evaluation due to the heart-attack, even though it happened after I was 4-F'd, but I have yet to do that.

Actually, what I'm trying to focus on now is finding the best prospect in Texas to move to...which I wanted to do on this last road trip, but I had to postpone all my Texas activities because I spent too much time in Florida, one of the friends I wanted to meet up with had to take a trip to Mexico...oh, and then, the fuel pump crisis that could've (should've, actually) blown me as high as a Starlink satellite.

(And Action, I mentioned it only once on this thread that you created; and that was nearly two years ago, until you decided to dig it back up two days ago! But hey, I'm not even going to perpetuate a war of words with you. The "War Room" doesn't exist here anymore, and I will not be responsible for carrying on a war on this Forum. I have actually learned now not to talk anymore about it, because I know that nobody would ever take me seriously except to steal the idea for themselves; Gilbe Ko already took too much, but my own secrets on improvement to the design will remain secrets from now on. So, end of argument, I'm done with you and your condescension. No more talk about it, here or any other forum environment; I promise. And I'd appreciate if you would return the courtesy.)

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I purchased a manual right hand mirror for my '63 and used an xtra drivers remote mirror to make a right hand remote mirror for my '63. I never have installed it, yet. I do need to find a longer remote cable that goes to the toggle, as the toggle and cable I have are short due to they were from a drivers mirror and only had to run to the drivers door panel. My passenger remote mirror, I created, needs a longer cable, so I can mount it on the dash at arms reach, vs. on the passenger door panel.
Here is my old post on the passenger remote mirror, but all photos were lost during forum update, so it's really of not much use, but here it is. Boo!

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... it=+remote
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

You can try what I did with mine: Salvage a starboard mirror from a late-'70s/early-'80s Ford (of any division) organ donor that had cables long enough to reach to the driver's side, then transfer them to your new mirror. That was what I did with my starboard mirror, and it worked.

On the other hand, at the time I had difficulty trying to find a practical routing for those cables. I ended up routing them through a hole in the lower hinge for the right-front door, which I now know was a mistake. There was a better routing passage that I didn't see then, so now I have to separate the cables from the wand and try to reroute them to that other passage. Being that the lower hinge needs surgery to re-secure the pivot pin, requiring removal of that hinge, which cannot be done until I do that cable separation, that's a job I have to look into sometime this year. I know it won't be fun, but it will be necessary.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

rflemming

Post by rflemming »

55314950-F099-4C00-88CD-445ACE979BCA.jpeg
Years ago a club member near me shared how he did his right hand mirrors in his 70 and 71 Marks.

So I did it on my 71 Mark. Use a base from a 70/71 Mark. Remove the peek molding on the right side door. Measure and mark using the measurements from the drivers side. I used a dremel and cut the molding. Using the molding and the base I marked and drilled the mounting holes. Painted the holes to prevent rust.

I did cut the control cables. Mine I have to manually adjust mirror. Since I’m the only driver it is not an issue. I also have one of those little blind spot mirrors.

Also the base of the donor mirror I had to trim the base to fit the top of the base. Not hard.

This really helps pulling out of the garage.
Attachments
950F0BFE-FFAF-47A3-9F21-838DE77E0D82.jpeg
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Functional, yes, but the logo is on the wrong corner outing it as a driver mirror. Suppose if you have a car that is driven rather than shown it wouldn’t matter…
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
rflemming

Post by rflemming »

49C56299-CAAC-4BAB-87BC-B21BE8947ECB.jpeg
I know it seems like the emblem should be on the other side but I don’t believe the right hand mirrors were.

In 75 they removed the emblems from the mirror but here are some pictures from a sales brochure from 73/74.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

If that is truly how they were for 73-74 that’s terrible.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Searched 73 Continental on Google and one of the first pictures I found.
Screenshot_20230401_195933_Chrome.jpg
If you're going to really show a 70/71 it won't matter which one you use because everything is incorrect. But it all depends on what type of car show you enter and if the judges are wise on Lincoln or if they even care.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
rflemming

Post by rflemming »

Several more pictures.

I believe they took the emblem off because they shared the same mirror with Thunderbird (maybe Mecury?) and or because someone finally noticed.
Attachments
FD590944-2DD9-4A50-9C45-92174F2805B1.jpeg
FD590944-2DD9-4A50-9C45-92174F2805B1.jpeg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 208 times
773CC24D-7C45-49D3-8FDD-674F3901833F.jpeg
rflemming

Post by rflemming »

Here are some from 1975 without the emblem.
Attachments
2D683474-4E4F-427D-AA18-8D30C0224102.jpeg
4A2101E5-5B55-4187-8825-AFF065058F85.jpeg

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”