Vehicle Lift

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

action
LCOC Regional Director

Vehicle Lift

Post by action »

I am considering getting a lift to store a vehicle and I am looking for input from anyone that has done this. Or recommendations and possible pitfalls

The outside area that I am working with is currently dirt. So I have no existing pieces to work around.
I will pour concrete and get a lift and build a structure. (Maybe not in that order)
Power is very close by because the breaker box is outside the house and within 10 feet of the closest point of this project.
The lift will have to handle my largest vehicle which is 221" (18 1/2 feet) in length and weighs in at 5480 pounds (The 66 Convertible)

In looking at lift choices, the possibilities are staggering. There are so many!

What things make a difference?
Any input?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Vehicle Lift

Post by frasern »

I put a used Rotary 2 post service lift in my shop, and could fill many pages with pitfalls. For storage, a 4 post platform lift, obviously, but I wanted one for servicing. Be aware of clearance, you don't want to put an open hood into the roof, and weight capacity.
I welded together, a rebar cage, 4' x4', with bolts to fit the bases, and set them into thickened 8" cement all tied into the normal floor structure. Little chance of that pulling out or tipping. If you have the type picked out before you pour, you can reinforce accordingly.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

BendPak seems to have a wide range of proper lifts. They make QuickJacks and MaxJax now too. They have 2- and 4-post lifts on their well-organized website. Another company is Backyard Buddy. A friend of mine, notable collector and race-car driver, has one and likes it, but says servicing is tough.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

frasern wrote:I put a used Rotary 2 post service lift in my shop, and could fill many pages with pitfalls. For storage, a 4 post platform lift, obviously, but I wanted one for servicing. Be aware of clearance, you don't want to put an open hood into the roof, and weight capacity.
I welded together, a rebar cage, 4' x4', with bolts to fit the bases, and set them into thickened 8" cement all tied into the normal floor structure. Little chance of that pulling out or tipping. If you have the type picked out before you pour, you can reinforce accordingly.
Thanks. I had not thought about an open hood. Weight .... I am kinda thinking 150 to 200 percent of actual load. Not sure if that is overkill. I just don't know.

Cars are about 5' tall. Two of them makes 10'. I figure about a foot of space between and then one above the top vehicle for 12 total. Is that flawed?

Picking the lift now is exactly my plan before I pour.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I have heard of Bendpak. I will check both out.
Working on a vehicle is more of a bonus. The main function is storage as I have really over purchased for Real Estate owned.

Action
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Couldn't be happier with my Advantage Lift DX-9000-XLT.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

^^^ Looks like some of the top vehicle over hangs the ramps at the rear.

Is that correct?
If yes I did not know that was acceptable?

I assume the approach ramps are removable, correct?
How tall is the ceiling in that pic?

Thanks

Action
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

When I was in that field, a co-worker had a Citroen D on the hoist. They have a very long hood, which can be clipped straight up for service. That shop had a rather low ceiling, and if you're familiar with "murphies law" you know what happened next! The hood clearance may not matter for a storage hoist, but something to keep in mind.
My shop is 13'8" at the peak, just enough for the unit I have, but a storage lift, they usually are lower. The rating is 9,000 lbs. which should lift anything I have. I still haven't tried my diesel truck, but am confident it will hold.
More and more hoists are becoming available, some are very light, for exotic cars, some will lift trucks, so the shop should almost be designed around the hoist that you choose.
I think shops are like boats, they're always 2' too short!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

No overhang. Plenty long. And strong. Yes, ramps are removable. And as a bonus the lift can be moved around--it comes with dollies that slide under the four posts and allow you to move around as long as it's not permanently secured to the floor (which is the recommended installation method). Kudos to Stinkin' Lincoln for the recommendation.

My first Lincoln was a '64 (in 1976) and I had it up on cinderblocks in the back yard as I "restored" it. It took 44 years but I finally got a real lift. I highly recommend this--nothing bad to say about it after three months of use.

My ceilings are 12'. I did have to get a side-lift door opener installed for the clearance, which moved the lift from the ceiling to the side. Something to think about.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

siglumous wrote:
My ceilings are 12'. I did have to get a side-lift door opener installed for the clearance, which moved the lift from the ceiling to the side. Something to think about.
I have not built the structure, nor have I poured the concrete!
This will be a free standing structure not attached to the house or anything else.
So I have some flexibility in making what is needed to make this work.

What does this mean?
"moved the lift from the ceiling to the side"

Do you mean the garage door opener????

Action
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Oops, meant to say “moved the (garage door) opener from the ceiling to the side”. That gave me an extra foot or so for clearance to the ceiling.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Bendpak are made in the USA, I believe. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Thanks for the clarity.

I may go with a roll up door. The structure isn't going to be a traditional garage. Well may be it isn't.
And how the door works is certainly a factor.

Action
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Probably 5 years ago or so, I had considered getting a lift installed in the garage so I could put one of the smaller cars over the Lincoln (with drip protection on both). I don't remember the details, but I went to one person for information; my mechanic. I figured since his lifts could handle the Lincoln, he'd be the best source for information.

Just FWIW.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Get 4 post for storage. 200% is over kill. Something in the 7,000lb range is what you want.

Check around and see what's commonly sold locally and a name brand. You don't want to end up with something that no one can service or get parts for if the need ever arises.
Check what the slab and clearance requirements are of the lift you decide on before you start building anything.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”