Srt8 Brake Conversion

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Goodvibez63

Srt8 Brake Conversion

Post by Goodvibez63 »

Hey guys has anyone successfully did the srt8 conversion? Also does it have to be Jeep srt8 calipers and rotors or will the calipers and rotors of a dodge work?

Any help would be appreciated. I have an opportunity to buy a complete set of brembo calipers and rotors off a dodge, and I’m really interested in the conversion.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Srt8 Brake Conversion

Post by TonyC »

I've never heard of such a retrofit, but that doesn't mean it can't be done; one of our vets managed to squeeze a modern Hemi engine into a '62. But any such retrofit will be very expensive, I don't doubt, once complications arise with trying to mate the newer hardware to a much older car.

I guess it depends on the car we're talking about. What is the car that you're pondering putting these brakes on? If it's a year that already has discs on the front brakes, then I see no point except for "just because." The original disc/drum combo from '65 to '69 is very effective in wrestling down a 5,300-lb. battleship from highway speed to full halt. Really, the only brake conversion such a car would need would be a dual-tub master cylinder conversion (along with the associated valves) for a year that did not have the dual-tub setup.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Goodvibez63

Post by Goodvibez63 »

Tony - thanks for the reply, I have a 63 with drums all around. I’ve seen people doing the Jeep srt8 brembo brake conversion I would love to know more about it
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ahh, okay. Yes, I can see a potential for improvement with a disc conversion for that year. Chances are, though, that you'll also have to find a master cylinder and booster that are designed to handle those brakes; the one-tub master and that smallish booster will likely not be able to handle the added stress of discs. And then there's also the issue I mentioned of mating later parts from a different make into a Suicide Lincoln; these cars are not necessarily receptive to such part conversions right off the bat, as they are not your common Ford product. Hopefully, somebody with better knowledge can chime in with constructive input about that specific prospect.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Seems overkill especially for how these cars are driven. But at least it's a common upgrade in the dodge world so parts shouldn't be too hard to find when needed.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Goodvibez63

Post by Goodvibez63 »

Yeah, I’d love to know more about it. I would like to see if anyone has accomplished the conversion
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, the problem still remains fit of new parts from a different make onto an old car...and then, what other things would have to be changed out as a chain-reaction consequence, such as wheels and of course the master fluid components I mentioned earlier. That can rack up quite a bill, possibly rendering any hope of a budget-conscious conversion impractical. But, if somebody has done such a conversion on a Suicide, then they should chime in.

If, however, nobody chimes in or suggests that it's impossible, you can still look into converting at least to the later-'60s brake setup, utilizing Lincoln organ-donor parts that will likely have a better chance of fitting properly to your car than 21st-Century Dodge parts. May even cost a bit less. That has been done and noted in the Forum, just requires a bit of searching. But that's as maybe, if the Dodge brakes cannot work.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Goodvibez63,

Jason "ODB" here from Lincoln Addict Podcast. If it were me I would just go with an aftermarket company like CPP however I do realize the benefits of going with a setup like this. If you in the Suicide Slabs Facebook Group just search SRT8. One of the guys said this

"Speedway metric. Weld on caliper. A set of 2000 jeep grand Cherokee front rotors. Metric calipers of a 88 monte carlo and metric brake pads off of a 88 monte carlo. .
10 for the brackets each
32 for the rotors each
80 for the calipers they are willwood
50 for the pads. They are willwood.
12 in sliders pins"

My buddy Tony and I really dialed in my drums brakes on my '64 to the point I cannot believe how good they actually stop. That doesn't mean I won't upgrade in the future which is one reason I went with a 17-inch Colorado Custom Lincoln replica wheel so I can run a big break setup in the future.

Here is the link to CPP: https://www.classicperform.com/other-customs.htm

If you check out Ronnie's podcast C 10 Talk they often give out a 10% off code for CPP.

Baer also makes a kit but it is more expensive if I recall correctly. Jeff at Devious Customs sells those and he has a Black Friday sale going on now. Not sure if there are any deals on brakes though https://www.deviouscustoms.com/shop/lincolns/

Figured I'd throw out some suggestions. Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Goodvibez63

Post by Goodvibez63 »

Jason thank you for the info! That’s just what I was looking for, I will check on the suicide slabs on Facebook, I appreciate it!!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

NP man. Happy to help! Def a few guys in there that have put together some killer setups. Always good to help each other out!

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”