Stainless Steel Lincoln

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Stainless Steel Lincoln

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Just noticed the side views of the convertible....on both sides, it has a '66 wheelcover on the front and a 67+ on the rear tires.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ah, you saw that too, eh, Nick? Yes, I was almost tempted to post about the mixing of the two years on that car; but I know it had been discussed before, so I kept quiet.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

I am far from a professional welder but I would love to see how this thing went together. I know you can TIG stainless to mild steel but you need the proper filling rod. Auto bodies are typically spot welded together using spot weld machines so I would think this process would not be able to work with different alloys. I am really curious about how the rocker assemblies went together and welded to the floor boards at the upper and lower pinch welds. Another thing is stainless steel likes to crack under stress. I wonder how these bodies (especially the vert Lincoln) would have endured A LOT of miles/abuse.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Apparently, there’s no problem welding SS to mild steel.

https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/foru ... low-carbon
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Learn something new everyday.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000