462 M.E.L. engine rebuild

Temporarily locked due to spammers. Will investigate.

Ask here if you are looking for a facility to perform labor on your Lincoln. You should also post your recommended suppliers or servicers here for others to find. Want to name a vendor you had a bad experience with? Post your comments here, but please stick to the facts. Ask or post for Part Numbers and Cross References in the sub-forum specifically for that here.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lincolnlvr
Occasional Visitor

462 M.E.L. engine rebuild

Post by Lincolnlvr »

Does anyone have any experience with Barnett Performance ? Need my engine done but have heard some horror stories about them. Overpriced and shoddy work. Customer service is lacking if problems arise after wards. Just inquiring before I throw $12000. out the window.
Thanks.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 462 M.E.L. engine rebuild

Post by LithiumCobalt »

No experience with them other than hearing others complain about them. I like to source my own parts partly because I want to make sure what I get is correct and partly because I can save money doing it over having the builder acquire them. Lots of places can rebuild engines. Find someone local-ish that others trust and have had a good experience with. I can’t imagine spending $12k on a MEL rebuild. There’s nothing exotic about them.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
bob sandercock
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bob sandercock »

Try contacting a local Ford dealer
If you are not set on numbers matching they may be able to get you a rebuilt one.
I got a 430 about 20 years ago for less than $2500 plus core, likely a lot more $ now however but not $12,000!!
It had a 2 year warranty but I never had any troubles with it in the 15 years I had it and it was still going strong when I sold the car.
Lincolnlvr
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlvr »

From their website. US dollars exchange to CDN at 30%. Been looking locally but keep getting same "question " what is a M.E.L.? When answer Lincoln 462 , reply no it's a FE 460 . So trying to find a "knowledgeable " rebuilder around here gets frustrating. Owned the car for 25 yrs so know what I have !

stage 2 rebuild $7800 Breakin test run included
430cid 200-225hp 420tq stock our stage 1 280-300hp 440tq
462cid 260hp 440tq stock our stage 1 320hp 490tq
Your block baked blasted crack checked and pressure tested,
Block bored and honed, new cam bearings, new freeze plugs, your heads baked, blasted and cracked checked, performance valve job, guides checked and replaced as needed $15 each or seats $25 each
your valves reground, your springs replaced as needed, new valve seals, your retainers and locks
your rods cleaned and inspected, your crank turned, new BHP performnace cam, new lifters, your rockers system disassembled and cleaned, new pushrods,
new cast pistons to suit 91-93 octane, new rings set, new HD timing chain and gears
your intake cleaned and painted, your distributor cleaned, your valve covers cleaned and painted
rebuilt water pump, your oil pan cleaned and painted, New oil pump, new rod and main bearings
100% blueprinted

stage 3 rebuild $9650 Breakin test run included
430cid 360hp 470tq
462cid 400hp 520tq
This engine has everything from the above engine with addition to the following upgrades:
Mild ported heads, Over sized stainless valves, new rod bolts, Performance camshaft,
Roller rockers
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

You might try MEL engine forum for suggestions on rebuilders. Is there a reason that you believe you need a full rebuild? These are robust engines that last a long time. Usually all they need is a head job, all the accessories rebuilt, thorough cleaning and re-seal. I’ve done the procedure on two of them and I’m not expert.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

A MEL engine is different from
A FE engine and is different from
A 460 or "385"
Those are three different engine families
MEL = Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln
FE = Ford Edsel
385 = 3.85" crankshaft stroke

BTW a Ford dealership isn't going to know about a 60 year old (at best) engine family. Most of the techs were not even born when the last MEL engine was built. A dealership will only have access to a rebuilding service. IF the authorized Ford engine rebuilders still have MEL engines.

It may be possible to get cylinder heads shipped to you. Might be worth searching if you determine you only need upper engine work.

>>>>>Action
Last edited by action on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Jason Ballard on this Forum just had a 430 rebuild performed in Florida near his home. Message or call him for details. Certainly any engine rebuilder could perform this service if they know where to get the parts. Which is what Jason can tell you. He talked about this on his Lincoln Addict podcast. He has a facebook group also. Look at facebook for LincolnAddict. I know he can run you through the process and make it seem less daunting.
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Suppliers, Vendors, Feedback, & Part Cross Reference”