Authentic or not 1961 Lincoln convertible

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jerry Robertson
Occasional Visitor

Authentic or not 1961 Lincoln convertible

Post by Jerry Robertson »

My Lincoln was made January 11 1961 it has the horn ring under the steering wheel and the other things that are associated with the early ones. I have changed a few things over the years changed out all the door handles to the screw type easier to work inside the doors also installed the auto dimmer head light automatic antenna from a 1962 and a FM AM radio from 1963 the Car has all options that were offered in 1961 air conditioning and speed control and other options I added make it more enjoyable to drive do you feel it's still authentic I kept the old parts that were on car . My car came with a white light on if I don't lock doors others I have seen are red and flash mine just stays white until I push down on the lock switch. Thanks Jerry
1961 Linc Convertible
1965 Mustang straight 6 factory air
2000 Linc LS
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Authentic or not 1961 Lincoln convertible

Post by LithiumCobalt »

What do you mean is it authentic? Factory correct, no it would not be. Unless you are wanting to win at the snow field, though, is it important whether the car is factory correct or not? I’ve got things about my car that aren’t totally correct.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

The door ajar light on my 63 is red and flashes, but mine has nothing to do with the locks. It is for door ajar only.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Authenticity is a funny word. It sort of means factory correct, but most cars of that vintage have something about them that would NOT have come from the factory, like tires, oil, gas and batteries.. My 63 has 15" wheels, front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder. Unless you are entering a concours event, with professional judges, I wouldn't worry about it. Even the LCOC is much kinder and gentler in terms of judging these days. Most clubs are pleased to have cars on the field. Wayne