Dual reservoir master cylinder kits

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

RacerX
Occasional Visitor

Dual reservoir master cylinder kits

Post by RacerX »

Today I went to take a ride in my 1965 Sedan and the brake pedal went to the floor.
So, I thought now is a good time to switch to a dual reservoir master cylinder. Alas, I just found out about the disaster at Baker's Auto!!!

Does anyone else sell a dual reservoir master cylinder kit?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Dual reservoir master cylinder kits

Post by TonyC »

YOW--I'll bet that was scary, especially considering that you have only one centralized tub in that master cylinder. I would say it's a good time to convert.

Baker's Auto was at least one of the primary sources of conversion "kits," that's true; however, their "hiatus" should not be perceived as a lost opportunity. All those kits are, essentially, are separate parts which can still be had readily on an individual basis, clumped together as a kit and sold at a really high price with the labeling justifying the extra cost. It's an old marketing trick, used for transmission fluid if you want a for-instance--"Multi-Purpose ATF" is nothing more than Dexron fluid with a different (and usually more expensive) label, but is sounds nice for the ignorant masses.

But I digress...you can make your own kit, you don't need one already packaged up by somebody else. The two-tub master cylinders are readily available at any parts store--you just have to specify that you need a '67, '68, or '69 cylinder (no other year will work for you). You will also need to replace the metering and proportioning valves at the same time, which used to be a tricky venture but not anymore. There are all-inclusive combination valves available which handle metering, proportioning, and pressure-differential all through one unit; our moderator can tell you the outlets that offer those valves. You will also probably need new steel brake lines (which you can get at NAPA) and a flaring kit (and the associated skills in line-flaring), just in case the original lines don't line up with the new components, or if one breaks on you while you're doing the conversion. At any rate, it's an involved surgery; but in the end it's worth it. At least you don't need to replace the booster, being that yours is a '65, unless the diaphragms fail.

I did a conversion to Frankenstein the hard way, using the separate and widely-scattered valves from the '67 design--trial and error over the years made me realize that there were three separate valves in that setup. Luckily, the combination valves now available will simplify a conversion somewhat.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

A 67 dual master with this valve will eliminate your single master cylinder and the metering valve etc. The brake lines will need to be custom bent to connect to the new system.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.29.56 PM.png
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You might be able to get the kit from Lincoln Land, but I recommend just bending your own lines. It’s a good skill to have.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”