'63 LCC Rear Suspension Rebuild - The Beginning

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: '63 LCC Rear Suspension Rebuild - The Beginning

Post by mge825y »

frasern wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:04 pm Also, a convertible rides slightly lower with the top down, Its weight is transferred farther back than most convertibles.
Fraser - Good point. I usually only ever drive the car with the top down and in the trunk. I have noticed that the car handles differently when I have a the extra weight of the top in the trunk AND a full tank of gas. I'm hoping that the new leaf springs and shocks will help correct that.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Mark, this picture may be helpful…when your mechanic torques up the rear spring mount, it is important that the “clamshells” that surround the big rubber mount actually contact each other, so that the insulator material is in controlled compression. See red arrows. When installing mine, the fresh rubber was apparently harder than stock, and if the U bolts were only torqued to spec (55 lb/ft I think, but don’t quote me) on mine, there was still a ca. 1/4” gap. I was afraid to go much beyond that torque from fear of snapping a bolt, so it took a week or more of every day retorquing those 4 bolts until the rubber (actually some polymer, I think) relaxed enough.

Also note at the blue arrow where it was necessary to add add’l shimming to get the pinion nose at the right angle.
Attachments
17BA6355-5991-4602-B49D-E0988DE5FD25.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Lee wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:11 am Mark, this picture may be helpful…when your mechanic torques up the rear spring mount, it is important that the “clamshells” that surround the big rubber mount actually contact each other, so that the insulator material is in controlled compression. See red arrows. When installing mine, the fresh rubber was apparently harder than stock, and if the U bolts were only torqued to spec (55 lb/ft I think, but don’t quote me) on mine, there was still a ca. 1/4” gap. I was afraid to go much beyond that torque from fear of snapping a bolt, so it took a week or more of every day retorquing those 4 bolts until the rubber (actually some polymer, I think) relaxed enough.

Also note at the blue arrow where it was necessary to add add’l shimming to get the pinion nose at the right angle.

Thank you Lee! I sent you info to my mechanic.
Mark in Charlotte
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

If the repro. springs are thicker than original, that may not be possible, not all are made to Lincoln specs., measure the old and the new.
My '67 has an extra leaf, for trailer towing, not a chance you're going to compress it. I thought about welding a shoulder to the clamshell, but it feels fine, so I left it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

That's part of the problem with using other then stock components. If poly doesn't compress the same way rubber does you're better off tightening to spec and re torque it after. If there's a gap it's not the end of the world.
frasern wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:33 pm If the repro. springs are thicker than original, that may not be possible, not all are made to Lincoln specs., measure the old and the new.
My '67 has an extra leaf, for trailer towing, not a chance you're going to compress it. I thought about welding a shoulder to the clamshell, but it feels fine, so I left it.
I have another car with the more typical setup then the lincoln, to add another spring you can use part of an old spring as a spacer. Too bad that's not possible.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Fraser, I didn’t measure the Eaton springs, but I’d be surprised if they were not OEM thickness. It could be, but I also bought the insulator pads through them as well. If they can’t be compressed to mate the two clamshells, I don’t think it’s dangerous, but it could allow the pinion nose to rise more than it should under hard acceleration, and cause undue wear on the U joints. One thing that probably can fully compress the insulators and unduly rock the rear end is 400+ lb-ft of torque. (If the clamshells don’t mate, it would seem that primarily the rear half of the upper insulator has to bear that acceleration load) Who remembers “traction bars” for leaf springs back in the day? :grin:
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Eaton may have made the original springs, so I would be surprised if there were a difference as well, but I have been surprised before. I just believe in measuring things, do it all the time. Probably learned that when doing carpentry.
I suppose they could "rock" in the saddles, but have seen no signs of that, If I ever start seeing polished areas around the rubber, I will know why.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

If the u bolts are torqued properly there should be no movement. It has the same risk of the insulator compressing during acceleration if the clamp is fully seated on itself or not. There's more movement during acceleration in the end bushings and torquing of the springs themselves then the insulators at the axle will ever see.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Can you get a picture of the spring bushings? I want to see if my "no rubber survives San Antonio heat" philosophy applies to these 60s Lincolns. I know the bushings in the my wife's Mark didn't survive 51 years of Phoenix heat.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:45 am Can you get a picture of the spring bushings? I want to see if my "no rubber survives San Antonio heat" philosophy applies to these 60s Lincolns. I know the bushings in the my wife's Mark didn't survive 51 years of Phoenix heat.

BadChevy - I didn't take any pictures before dropping it off at the shop. However, when I visually inspected it, they were trashed.
Mark in Charlotte
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Sorry to be bearer of bad news here...

If the back suspension bushings were smoked then so are the fronts..

IMO mileage dosen't matter when it comes to suspension bushings that old. Parked or driving the bushings are carrying the weight of the vehicle so add time + high heat + low humidity = dry rot!

How is the wiring in that car? Typically on central/south Texas cars the engine harnesses are in bad shape. Usually the wiring insulation is so dried out that if you bend the wires you will see all the insulation crack. It's honestly so bad here that even on late model trucks all the plastic wire loom is crumbled all over the top of the engine.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:59 pm Sorry to be bearer of bad news here...

If the back suspension bushings were smoked then so are the fronts..

IMO mileage dosen't matter when it comes to suspension bushings that old. Parked or driving the bushings are carrying the weight of the vehicle so add time + high heat + low humidity = dry rot!

How is the wiring in that car? Typically on central/south Texas cars the engine harnesses are in bad shape. Usually the wiring insulation is so dried out that if you bend the wires you will see all the insulation crack. It's honestly so bad here that even on late model trucks all the plastic wire loom is crumbled all over the top of the engine.

Well, the good news is that the entire front suspension is new. And the wiring is solid. All hoses and vacuum lines have been replaced too. The rear suspension is the last thing on my list (for now).
Mark in Charlotte
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, in all fairness, Frankenstein's suspension rubber held up to Texas environments as well as could be expected, for being 50+ years old and having been immersed in a Louisiana swamp at some time in its past.

But, I will admit to having been forced into a full replacement of the suspension rubber in 2012, back in Louisiana. It was not a fun experience, but I did it. Wouldn't care to re-do it, though, especially after the heart thing. I did, however, discover a factory gaffe when I did the rear: One of the shackle bolts had broken threads on it, which prompted me to look for good replacements. That told me, yup, Friday car, all right.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

All that aside, the car is with a trusted shop. They have my new Eaton Detroit leaf springs. They're going to take off the old. Put on the new. And replace the rear shocks and U-Joints. I'm looking forward to getting 'er back!
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

PROJECT UPDATE: I picked up my car today from the shop. As I had requested, they replaced the rear leaf springs, new shocks all around and new u-joints. They also found a problem with my brakes that was causing my front brakes to overheat. It was warping my front drums. So, they adjusted the booster, replaced the master cylinder, replumbed the brake lines and replaced the brake cylinders and front drums. The Eaton Detroit leaf springs and shocks make it ride so much better. Plus, the brakes are working better than they ever have and are now smooth as butter.
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”