Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Fairly certain the car was just a regular retail sale. At least the Marti report and owner warranty card would seem to indicate as such:
IMG_6620.jpg
MartiJPG.jpg
Would have liked more options, but it has the essentials for me. Have been considering switching to ATC. I just don't know when to leave well enough alone.....have switched to factory AM/FM Town&Country radio already. Someone must have retrofitted factory cruise control at some time along the way too since it doesn't show up on the Marti report....I removed it because there was no cruise stalk present. One of the biggest annoyances....no tilt wheel. Have to squeeze my fat ass under that steering wheel. That will also likely get changed once I find a good donor.

Funny enough, this sedan was built just 10 days before the '67 convertible that I owned several years back.

Also neat to Google street view the address on the original warranty card. Such a beautiful stately home that I could never afford.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Not a company car.

The warranty start date is the 23rd. And the delivering dealership is in Mount Clemens. Too far away for FPSD in Dearborn.

The key fob may have come from some other vehicle or person that had ownership of this vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Where the hell do I find the staples for the battery box rubber and a proper battery hold down? I know these were discussed in the past. They still seem to be made of unobtainium.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Nick,

Not exactly sure what length those staples are but they were used to attach the window fuzzies or whiskers on the tri-five ('55, '56, '57) chevys. I know because I have a '57 restomod. Staples are used because they bury into the "fuzzy" so you don't scratch the glass when you roll the window up or down like might happen if screws are used. They actually punched holes through the "fuzzy" and also through the Iron frame with special staple guns at the factory.

Here are a couple of alternatives from the tri-five website... https://www.trifive.com/forums/archive/ ... 39369.html

Here is a short < 3 min. video on how to fix using wire... https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.c ... ng-013896/

Here is another discussion... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ip.146383/

Here are the staples for the tri-five windows not sure if they are the same length as you need... https://www.classicchevy.com/catalogsea ... es&x=0&y=0

bet the staples for the old style cable clamps that hold your cable tv lines to the wall will work also if you drill out the original holes a bit... these would probably work (Bell wire staples they are called) just use the staple part. Throw the clamp part away. 40 for $1.64 at Lowes... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Bender ... es/4634623

You can get cable staples up to 9/16th if you don't like the small Bell Wire staples. Go look at the Lowes or Home Depot web sites.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Interesting. Thanks Rob. Here I was thinking this would be some specialty item that I would have to pay an exorbitant amount for. I’ll have to go take a browse...
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

In my never ending quest to eliminate any and all leaks, I am going to attack my transmission next. I know the best option would be to have it completely removed as a unit and have a shop do all of the seals, but they want about $600 to do that, which seems a bit on the high side. With that said, I've ordered a new pan gasket because that is the source of most of it. I know the pan has been changed because it has a threaded drain plug. So, not knowing the history of the transmission (whether rebuilt or not), would you use Type F or Dexron/Mercon as replacement fluid? Any advantage/disadvantage to using either? Transmission shifts just fine, but want to avoid compatibility issues/destroying things so it will be a full drain and refill of whatever.
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

With no other data use F. (You don't know what is in there now) The torque converter will have 5 or 6 quarts. And there may be a quart in the valve body, cooling lines and other parts. Change the filter while you are there.

Other locations for ATF leaks are:
Front pump seal & gasket
Shift shaft seal
Rear extension seal

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Question for the carb gurus here:

Had my original Carter rebuilt no more than 500 miles ago. Car has been running beautifully and always has started after about 10 seconds of cranking. No issues whatsoever. It was good and warmed up when I got back home after a drive last night and I was running the A/C and also checking the fluids while it ran in the garage. Came out this morning to start the car so I could drive it to work....cranks and cranks but no life. Took the daily driver to work. Came home and try to start again - same problem. Took the air cleaner off, and gave the throttle lever a pump - fuel jets shot into the carb, so fuel not the problem. Popped off a plug wire and put next to fender so I could watch while cranking. Got spark. Car acts like it is flooded. Started poking around the carb and found fuel all over the top of it as well as dripping down into the valley. Does this sound like a float problem? Where the hell would all of this fuel be coming from?
IMG_6681.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg
IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6684.jpg
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Carter AFB has two floats and two needle and seats with a connecting passage. It is possible one or both floats are sunk out of adjustment or the needle and seat have debris and are open. Besides debris getting past the filter, it is hard to believe after a rebuild and successful run (or several) that issues would show up. Fuel could be coming out of the accelerator pump to the top of the carb. (LF corner of the carb)

Have a friend crank it (or use a remote starter) and see where the fuel is coming out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Finally making some time to catch up on what I've missed the last few years. Congratulations on the new addition Nick! Quite a find, and looks so much better with the original wheels and whitewalls. I WISH I were this close on my 61. Congrats again man, can't wait to see how she comes along!
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thanks a bunch Nic. As always they are a work in progress! The list never seems to be done!
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Have been coming out to this after the car sits for two or three days. Can drive places and let it sit all day and barely leaks a drop, but if it sits a couple days, I get an assload of transmission fluid all over the floor. Looks like I am in for a transmission re-seal sooner than I thought. Don’t know if I will have time to get it done before I take the trip to Hickory Corners next month. Just have to get it warmed up and fill to full, every time I guess. It always something FFS. This old bitch is never happy. She must be jealous of the new girlfriend.
B269162B-EC86-4801-8670-AC60A976DB32.jpeg
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Do you know where it is coming from?

Transmission pan
Shift shaft seal
Front of the transmission
Modulator

Hopefully it isn't the modulator as that can impact the 1-2 and 2- 3 upshift.
The other areas are just a PITA.

And thinking about your description, the transmission main body fills up after sitting for some time. This is because when running the pump fills the torque converter. After the transmission sits for some time the torque converter gradually drains back into the transmission body. Pull the dip stick from a transmission that has sat for awhile the fluid level is very high. Fire up the engine and the level goes down. This is a normal condition, however the seals (shift shaft seal - be careful now) is higher than the pan gasket. And that is where the leak may be as the fluid comes up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Not really sure where it is coming from. Suspect it is coming from the front of the transmission somewhere as that is where the majority of fluid sits under the car on the floor. Such a pain in the ass. Got a quote of $550 to pull and reseal. Not real happy about that, but what else can you do? Seals don’t last forever, especially on stuff that does a lot of sitting.
Nick
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

$550.00 to pull the trans and re-seal is a very good price, I would not hesitate.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build