Replicating that "blue" stuff on new tires

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Replicating that "blue" stuff on new tires

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I thought you had a picture of a original 1961 factory spare with the blue gunk on the whitewalls.

I've seen original spares that still have the spikes on them and have never been on the ground, but never one with the blue stuff. That's why I asked for a pic.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Does anyone know someone who worked at one of the plants? Maybe they would remember....
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

This is from Wikipedia site about WW tires and their origin. I think the blue protectant is much later.
New tires were wrapped in paper for shipping, to keep the white stripe clean, and for preventing the black of other tires from rubbing on the whitewall side.[
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Well, I hate to admit it but Dan might be right. If one goes to Youtube and searches for "building 1962 Thunderbirds", you will see factory tires being installed and they look pretty darn white to me. The good news is that my "blue" can just be washed off, no harm, no foul. What I guess happened is instead of spending $ on each new tire to wrap it in paper, someone came up with a water soluble solution that could be applied saving money but this probably happened in the early '70's. I know I purchased new cars with the blue applied to the spare but it was on cars produced way after 1961.
Yes, it's super trivial but fun to research things like this.
IMG_2142.JPG
Case closed.
Last edited by John Mc on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I'm betting that the blue coating was from the 80's on up.
Surely some of the older forum members could chime in on purchasing a new white wall tire and when they may have noticed the blue coat first, in regards to what year.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

One of my jobs when I was working summers as a teenager in the early '70s was to prep new Oldsmobiles when they came off the truck. I don't recall that the spare tires, whether WSW or RWL, had blue on them.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

Suicidekid63 wrote:I'm betting that the blue coating was from the 80's on up.
Surely some of the older forum members could chime in on purchasing a new white wall tire and when they may have noticed the blue coat first, in regards to what year.
My 1972 Lincoln with 52K original miles still has the original Michelin P22575R15 spare in the trunk, and it has never been on the ground. The white sidewall side of the tire has a pale green material on it. All the mold tits are intact; the tire reads "Made in Western Germany", as I guess most if not all of that vintage of Michelin tires were.

-Charles
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Thanks guys, it would be very interesting to see 1) what that stuff is and 2) when manufactures starting using it. I've googled the subject and found nothing.
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Call or PM Diamondback Tires. They produce all their WW's and mine came with the blue coating.
I know it wont tell you when it was first used, but at least, what it is.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Here are my memories of the new tire and car experience.

In 1951 worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealer and do not remember any blue stuff on the tires of the new cars. My 1953 Olds was delivered to the dealer with the white walls clean. My 1961 Comet had blue junk on the tires before dealer prep, all of my other cars up to 1994 had clean white walls when delivered to me. My dad's Lincolns all had clean white walls when delivered, up to 1961, his last car.

In the 1980's we visited the Ford plant in Chicago. At the tire station, the tire was mounted and then washed before sending it to the assembly line.

The only thing that this proves is that Dan was right: John is a nice guy, but he needs help.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

tomo wrote:Here are my memories of the new tire and car experience.

In 1951 worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealer and do not remember any blue stuff on the tires of the new cars. My 1953 Olds was delivered to the dealer with the white walls clean. My 1961 Comet had blue junk on the tires before dealer prep, all of my other cars up to 1994 had clean white walls when delivered to me. My dad's Lincolns all had clean white walls when delivered, up to 1961, his last car.

In the 1980's we visited the Ford plant in Chicago. At the tire station, the tire was mounted and then washed before sending it to the assembly line.

The only thing that this proves is that Dan was right: John is a nice guy, but he needs help.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC