RetroSound Radio Conversion in my 64

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

RetroSound Radio Conversion in my 64

Post by burnski »

So the factory radio in my 64 has never worked, and I had just CD player in the glovebox. I picked up the Model Two RetroSound radio and was adamant to make it work without loosing too much of the originality of the dash. This radio has all the modern bells & whistles. Has 2 aux inputs, 2 USB inputs, bluetooth input, etc. Here is the radio I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS7S08K/

I started by pretty much tossing in the garbage all of the RetroSound mounting hardware, trim kit, knobs and kept really only the guts. then I completely gutting the stock non-working AM radio down to the bare chassis, keeping only the preset buttons.
radio01.jpg
I then separated the LCD from the RetroSound housing, and completely stripped down the housing to the smallest possible form
radio02.jpg
then I put the LCD back into the housing, attached the harness, and epoxied it into the stock radio frame in place of where the factory display would show through the dash. (its upsodedown because the epoxy is still drying in this pic):
radio03.jpg
then i cut out a piece of lexan to fill the dash window, taped off where the LCD would display through, painted the remaining un-covered lexan black. then used 3M 2-sided tape for cellphone screens to attach the lexan to the RetroSound LCD frame. I then applied an AM decal over the lexan, and cut off the original AM indicator needle and used some 2-sided tape to attach it to the screen.
radio04.jpg
Then i used some strapping to mount the RetroSound brain to inside the original AM housing.
radio06.jpg
Then I took the original dash trim apart, added the trimmer shaft posts from the radio kit. Then I machined out the factory adjustment knobs to fit on the new RetroSound shaft posts.
radio08.jpg
Here it is with the power turned on, and the LCD showing through the false AM lexan display. The preset buttons dont work, i just use the scan feature to find radio stations. I usually only listen to the one same channel, or bluetooth music off my phone anyways.
radio09.jpg
And here it is in action: https://youtu.be/6rhfIpb4fXs
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Re: RetroSound Radio Conversion in my 64

Post by jtheye »

You did a great job. I am not as ambitious as you and ended up sending my original stereo into a place that added all the features it needed but is controlled by certain "movements" to the stock nobs. It has a learning curve, but is ok to use. Otherwise it looks completely factory. If you don't know the nob movements to access functions you would think it is just a non functioning factory stereo.

The shop left the wires hanging down to add amps for speaker upgrades and subs. Tempted to just take it to a custom stereo shop and have amps and speakers put in, but will have to order the kick panels first.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Love this Pat. Just saw it since jtheye commented.

I think I'm going to sell the '65 AM/FM radio I have which Robert had an Aurora Bluetooth conversion completed on. If anyone is interested let me know.

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html

When Robert got the '65 radio updated (It is still in the box they shipped it back to him in) they were on the 2.5 version. I'm sure it works perfectly but I'm going a different route and have no need for it in my '65 Lincoln Continental convertible.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

bd94s10 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:44 pm Love this Pat. Just saw it since jtheye commented.

I think I'm going to sell the '65 AM/FM radio I have which Robert had an Aurora Bluetooth conversion completed on. If anyone is interested let me know.
I believe Aurora also did mine in the 64. The reason I know this is because when I hook up to Bluetooth on my phone, it says connect to "Aurora". Kind of a giveaway huh? like I said earlier, the unit has a learning curve to it. The stereo is controlled by "movements" or movement combinations". What makes it easier is the unit talks to you when you do a certain control movement. Example would be if you take the volume nob and twist forward twice, the unit says "Bluetooth Enabled" audible;y thru the speakers. I am surprised at how quick you get used to using the "movements" to control it. How much $ are you asking for your 65 radio? I don't know how much Aurora charges, but I do know the shop charged me like $560 to have had my head unit sent in and the work done.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Oh yeah. Makes sense on it coming up as "Aurora." I heard it can be tricky in the beginning. I'm looking to sell mine for $500 shipped. I heard it was $500 for the conversion. I may throw it on eBay.
AB3.G

Post by AB3.G »

I'm looking for a recommendation. I want a new radio to use Bluetooth but want the original look. Would the link below be a good option?
Any help is greatly apricated.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1966- ... a-740.html
Abe
1966 Sedan
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

In my humble opinion, this is the only way to go: https://garytayman.com/stereo.htm

The Retrosound system looks like a toy to me.

See my review of the Aurora conversion here: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... lit=Aurora

I’ve had two classic radios done by the guy in the link above.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

While I have succumbed to wiring in a Bluetooth receiver, the music is still played over a 100% stock radio and original woofer and tweeter. It is flatly amazing to me that that radio has been playing without a hiccup now for 62 years, without so much as even a new dial cord.

Ford bought Philco in 1961, but I believe these early transistor radios were built by Motorola. I tip my hat to those engineers. I think our definition of concert quality has shifted a bit, but I can imagine myself driving around in 1962, and listening to one of the finest factory sound systems of that year.
Attachments
IMG_0631.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Sort of off-topic, but not entirely; I went a different route in converting Frankenstein's stereo sound system (yes, that was one option he had from the factory), but a '66 is a tad easier to convert than a '65 or earlier car. That is not to say it is easy, because it isn't; but it is a little easier.

I went with a bunch of aftermarket brands before settling with a Sanyo FT-V96 head unit. It has an analog display and adjustable shafts that can easily stretch to fit in the oddball span the '66/7 dashes had. It doesn't have antenna controls like the originals did; but it has a wire for an automatic antenna to be used, so changing the antenna was also required (an easy decision as Frankenstein's OE antenna was broken, anyway). With numerous neat-o features and an integral cassette deck, and only a couple of small appearance mods involved (i.e., a filler panel to fill the gaps in the dash above and below the face, and wiring dash lights into the unit for night vision), I have the most versatile sound system a car can have, and nobody notices it immediately.

There is, however, a problem I have with the radio portion: The signal has a very bad habit of cutting off and on sporadically in either band. I first thought it was a grounding problem, but the problem happens with both bands; if it were mere grounding issues, that would not affect FM reception. It has to be an antenna malfunction, but I don't think it's in the antenna itself. My guess is that the problem must be in the radio's antenna input lead, which is in the form of a cable; when I touch it during a reception malfunction, the signals come back for a while...though not permanently. The cable itself may have an internal break and need replacement. Thing is, finding a NOS input cable for a specific aftermarket radio is no easy quest. I try to remain optimistic, though; if I was able to find the service manual for that particular Sanyo model, I should be able to find a compatible antenna input cable...eventually.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
AB3.G

Post by AB3.G »

LithiumCobalt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:39 am In my humble opinion, this is the only way to go: https://garytayman.com/stereo.htm

The Retrosound system looks like a toy to me.

See my review of the Aurora conversion here: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... lit=Aurora

I’ve had two classic radios done by the guy in the link above.
WOW thank you i would prefer to use the original radio since it works great and this option does that for me. I just want Bluetooth so this helps.
Is the removal of the stereo difficult?
Abe
1966 Sedan
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Abe, not too difficult, just annoying. You have to remove the cover below the steering column. Then it’s a matter of disconnecting the wiring plugs, pulling the knobs and removing the nuts and then there is a brace and nut on the back underside of the radio chassis that secures it. Much easier than my Mark III.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

My father in law has an all original 77 Grand Prix that he wanted bluetooth in. Last month I helped him install a Fosgate amp, 2 6x9 speakers in the package tray, and a bluetooth receiver. He didn't want to modify anything in the vehicle so we used velcro to mount the amp and the 6x9 speakers were a direct bolt in. The factory radio still works through the original front dash speakers but the car dosen't receive any radio stations around his house.

Rockford RFBTRCA Universal Bluetooth to RCA Adaptor https://a.co/d/aMZ14OU
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
AB3.G

Post by AB3.G »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm My father in law has an all original 77 Grand Prix that he wanted bluetooth in. Last month I helped him install a Fosgate amp, 2 6x9 speakers in the package tray, and a bluetooth receiver. He didn't want to modify anything in the vehicle so we used velcro to mount the amp and the 6x9 speakers were a direct bolt in. The factory radio still works through the original front dash speakers but the car dosen't receive any radio stations around his house.

Rockford RFBTRCA Universal Bluetooth to RCA Adaptor https://a.co/d/aMZ14OU
Im looking into something like this as well. thank you for reaching out.
Abe
1966 Sedan
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

great work. I have no music in mine at all. Something I may need to change. There's always something.
1961 Sedan

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”