The Start of the Crank-Mounted Steering Pump

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

The Start of the Crank-Mounted Steering Pump

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

The title sums up my question, which I know is trivial but I would like to know, just out of historical curiosity. I was under the impression that crank-mounted steering pumps first appeared on 1961 Continentals; however, I had seen posts by some Forum members that suggest the crank-mounted pump was first used on 1960 Lincolns. I just went through a compilation of magazine reviews for the 1960 models, and none of the articles mentions anything about the steering pump on the 1960 Lincolns being redesigned. They mention the rear suspension, they mention the carburetor; they say nothing about the steering, except that it steers great.

So, this begs the fact-or-fiction question from me: Did 1960 Lincolns use a crank-mounted pump, or did they still use the belt-driven pump that '58 and '59 used?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Re: The Start of the Crank-Mounted Steering Pump

Post by gkramer47 »

Tony,

The '60 definitely used a crank mounted pump.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: The Start of the Crank-Mounted Steering Pump

Post by TonyC »

Okay...I still wasn't entirely convinced with the straight-up "yes" answer, so I did a little more research. Apparently, according to one of our long-gone MEL vets, Kultulz (gone from here, not from life), two types of power-steering pumps were available in 1960--belt-driven and crank-driven (naturally, one or the other, not both in the same engine). I think it's safe to deduce from that information that Lincoln was in the process of phasing in the crank pump to replace the belt pump in that year...similar to their later phasing in of the 460 engine to replace the 462.

See? Even one of the most seasoned Lincoln vets in the Forum still learns something.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)