So I bought an Electric Car...

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

So I bought an Electric Car...

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been distracted from the Lincoln world with my latest daily driver.

Haters aside (and I don't want this thread to become a place to debate the pros and cons), I bought my first all electric vehicle this past Saturday: A Chevy Bolt EV

I really wanted a Tesla Model 3 (actually, a model Y), but decided not to wait. I traded my 2011 Mini Cooper.

I'll field any questions that are not political, anti-EV, pro-gas, or otherwise confrontational or downright stupid statements by ignorant pleebs. I'll delete anything of the sort.

But for those who just want to know what it is like, ask away.
Attachments
IMG_6911.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG
IMG_6916.JPG
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: So I bought an Electric Car...

Post by larrys 62 53A »

So, what is it like? I wouldn't mind owning an electric car, but I do like the ones that steer with a tiller like a Detroit, or a Raulang. :D
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I bought my first all electric vehicle this past Saturday: A Chevy Bolt EV
What other EVs did you shop before settling on the Bolt? What "sold" you on the Bolt?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

larrys 62 53A wrote:So, what is it like? I wouldn't mind owning an electric car, but I do like the ones that steer with a tiller like a Detroit, or a Raulang. :D
It's fast (compared to the MINI, anyway). It's larger than my MINI and a little more spacious to passengers. I didn't need much space.

Throttle response is instantaneous. I'm not a speed demon, but this thing really goes. Instant torque and no windup.

It's dead quiet. No engine means no exhaust smell or noise. No oil means no maintenance, only tire rotation once per year and coolant flushes every 5-7.

Is it perfect? No. I kind of hate the radio and I swear the infotainment system is buggy.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ContiFan wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:I bought my first all electric vehicle this past Saturday: A Chevy Bolt EV
What other EVs did you shop before settling on the Bolt? What "sold" you on the Bolt?
I test drove the Model S, but no others because all other EVs had 125 miles of range or less. I figured I needed about 150 miles of range to accomplish 99% of my road trips.

I couldn't afford even a used Model S. The state of Michigan politics has locked them out. I do not support the dealer model. They lie, cheat, steal, etc. to sell a car. They also lie that people like them. What?!? What Fucking planet are you from?
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

Congrats. Like it or not, that's the way of the future. Now all you need are solar panels on the roof to charge it and you're off the grid.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Cool. So...does it have a V8? :lol:

I couldnt rezist and had to give you a little tease, but it looks nice for a daily rumbler. I've always been fascinated with electric vehicles although more towards the line of buses, (ie trolleybuses, the ones with 2 poles and wires above). I drove one way way back, and even though it was a 60 footer (articulated on) it was insanely fast.

750 Volt with max amperage up to whatever the system fed it, so it would reach 400hp if not more. No electronic nothing, traction or power management. It was raw.

I wish they'd make a car like that, but the problem is battery storage. Not just time to recharge, but the juice it can store, otherwise, you cant have a big boat of a car with loads of torque (I mean like a 460).

So how far can you go, if you gun it. Not hipermiling or whatever its called, but driving "spririted" and blasting out some tune.

Congrats anyway, Dan.
Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Congrats!

Glad you didn't get the Tesla; we can compare notes when I'm out there next week since I'm bringing the Tesla. Very interested in seeing the Bolt.

We can go racing!

Oh, and Dan does have solar panels!
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

How's your golf game, Dan? That doubles as a golf cart on weekends, right ??? :lol:

A friend of mine has a Volt. He loves it. He also has a '31 Ford, an El Camino and a couple other collectables and is an expert mechanic. Still he absolutely is in love with his Chevy Volt. He loves bypassing every gas station.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

Congrats on your purchase Dan. I do have a few questions:

Are you getting the range you were expecting? Any loss of range at night due to headlights etc?

I've wondered how the HVAC system works, is it sort of a Heat Pump like device with an electric compressor?

How long does it take to charge at your home?
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

One thing that is never discussed with electric cars is how it affects your electric bill. When you turn on the air conditioning or put up lots of Christmas lights, your electric bill skyrockets here. I would think charging a car every night would do the same.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

JonW wrote:Congrats. Like it or not, that's the way of the future. Now all you need are solar panels on the roof to charge it and you're off the grid.
Hah. I already have solar panels. And a geothermal heating/cooling system. All I need is a battery I can use to store the energy and I can go off grid. Except I'll do that AFTER the panels have paid for themselves.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Castrosua wrote:So how far can you go, if you gun it. Not hipermiling or whatever its called, but driving "spririted" and blasting out some tune.

Congrats anyway, Dan.
Al
My first week of spirited test drives and round town driving is netting me an average range of about 250-280 miles per full charge.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:Glad you didn't get the Tesla; we can compare notes when I'm out there next week since I'm bringing the Tesla. Very interested in seeing the Bolt.

We can go racing!
I'm not glad :( , but Michigan is just not the best place for a Tesla owner with limited resources.

I know it does not compare to a Model S60 from any year, but I can beat you on headroom and probably total distance per charge (unless you have a 75 or bigger).
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

RMAENV wrote:How's your golf game, Dan? That doubles as a golf cart on weekends, right ??? :lol:

A friend of mine has a Volt. He loves it. He also has a '31 Ford, an El Camino and a couple other collectables and is an expert mechanic. Still he absolutely is in love with his Chevy Volt. He loves bypassing every gas station.
The car is based on the Chevy Sonic also known as the Gamma II platform at GM. It's also built in Michigan, even though the majority of electric drivetrain parts are developed and built in Korea by LG.

No one would call those cars golf carts. They come with 4-banger motors that only put out 112-138 hp. The Bolt is 200 hp. I can outrun all of them until the next charge.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”