Missing Information in Shop Manuals

This area is reserved for the ever growing need for technical documentation for our Lincolns. It is where scans and pics of schematics, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, technical bulletins, and all similar documentation is made available to members of TheLincolnForum.Net. The best part is it is all free. Original owners copyright is assumed as this information is only provided as a reference for members.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Missing Information in Shop Manuals

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

I want to share a discovery of mine, which may help '66 and '67 owners. The respective shop manuals of those years are lacking information which they should both have, but only one or the other has.

1. In the '66 shop manual, the specs in Part 3 lack the torque limits for the steering components. Only the gearbox is listed, but nothing else. The '67 manual, however, does have all the necessary torques listed for everything.

2. In the '67 shop manual, Part 10-6, cited in Chapter 10 as specs needed to do initial tuning to the carburetor, is missing that information. The '66 shop manual, however, does have those setting specs in its Part 10-6.

I'm sharing this to help out others with those two years. I'm not sure if those deficiencies were covered in shop supplements, because they are not added into reproduction manuals (they have to be found separately); but if you own either of those two years, and you can't seem to find those specs in your manuals when you need them, you aren't crazy or high--they were left out (but you can get them if you happen to have the other year manual as well).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: Missing Information in Shop Manuals

Post by linc64 »

Good info Tony. It's also important to have the service bulletins for at least a couple of years beyond the year of your car. I have a complete set of all bulletins from '61-'69, and have found a lot of good info that's not in the shop manuals.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Jim,
are those bulletins available?
Rob
Robert DeFrang
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

defrang wrote:Jim,
are those bulletins available?
Rob
I don't have time to post them all, but if anyone has a specific question, I could try to find references to that question in the bulletins.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation