Power Steering pump always leaks: Here's the fix

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Rick Crunelle
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Power Steering pump always leaks: Here's the fix

Post by Rick Crunelle »

Don't forget the easier fix... pick up a copper washer that fits inside the opening. Then use a flaring tool to get the washer close to the shape of the fitting. Since the washer is now work hardened, you have to anneal it by putting it in a flame. Done. You've got a soft copper washer that will likely seal it up. That is what I did and I've had no leaks since. All for the price of a small copper washer.
Rick

1963 LCC
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Good to know.
I guess I was lucky, as I just replaced my pressure line last week, and it sealed like a champ, both at the pump and gearbox. I think it was the easiest fix I have ever done on my Lincoln! :grin:
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Rick Crunelle wrote:Don't forget the easier fix... pick up a copper washer that fits inside the opening. Then use a flaring tool to get the washer close to the shape of the fitting. Since the washer is now work hardened, you have to anneal it by putting it in a flame. Done. You've got a soft copper washer that will likely seal it up. That is what I did and I've had no leaks since. All for the price of a small copper washer.
Not a horrible idea at all, but I can see myself going through that endeavor only to have it leak and/or forgetting the washer is in there and losing it every time I have to unfasten that line. Would rather have a more permanent solution I never have to revisit. Hopefully. Worth looking at, for sure, though. Not leaking bad enough for me to really get excited about it until after driving season is over.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I guess I spoke too soon. I just noticed my return line on my PS gearbox has a tiny leak, under pressure. I assume when my guy worked on my gearbox, he cut a groove in my seat, as it did not weep before.
Does anyone know of what OD flare washer I should get and should I get a ID of 1/4" or go bigger w/ 5/16"? I think this will fix it, as it is a very small leak.
Thanks for any replies!!
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Try loosening then tightening the fitting 4-5 times. It may have to cut itself into the seat a little more.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

OK. I just removed the fitting completely and then re-tightened it to snug, one time only. I'll try giving it a couple whacks. I'll look in there closely and see if I can tell what the seat looks like, as I didn't before. Would still like to know what size washer. So many different ones out there. I assume 1/4" ID, but wasn't sure if OD was larger than the line itself. ??
My high pressure side sealed perfectly with the new line. I suppose I was lucky or it had never been opened up, before.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I just purchased a 3/8" OD- 1/4" ID copper flare gasket. I'll update progress when it gets here. Hope that fixes it or else I'm going to have to try and repair my seat.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Update:
well, my seat was too far gone for the copper washer to fix the leak. The flare washer fit perfectly, too. (3/8" OD -1/4" ID if anyone wants to get one in the future.)
I just purchased a T-handle EZ out set. It was nice and compact and fit right down into the small space below the booster. The M7 fit perfectly into the ID opening and pulled the old seat right out. As you can see, it needs some TLC.
I'm going to try and repair this one, but dropped $13 on this set and hope one is the correct size. It didn't state anything other than 3/8" size on website, but it looks like the kit includes 2 different sizes. We'll see, I guess.
I'll update when the new seats arrive. I also saw Lares has a 21 pc. aluminum seat kit, but I didn't want to spring for it since I found this 3pc. one from Summit.
Attachments
damaged seat.jpg
brass seats.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Got a link for those seat sets? I’d like a backup source. I never know what to search for.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I may have seen these but passed them over because of this:
Notes: Designed to convert late model GM O-ring steering boxes to inverted flare seat.
They don’t show the bottom. That part has to seal to whatever it is seated within or it will leak around the fitting.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I tried to find it, but couldn't locate a second time, but I found a side view pic of the seats and the far left one looked the same as mine. I'll be the test dummy, here and cross my fingers for fitment correctness! :D The Lares kit had a shitload more, so I'm sure one of those would fit. Worse case...
If not, my old one has plenty of meat to it and I'll just rework it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’m looking for the Lares kit.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Brass is awfully soft, but I guess a new brass fitting would be better than none at all, especially if you can get a bunch of spares
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I just got the brass ones because the stock one was brass. I figure it'll hold up just fine, if it fits.

Here's the Lares kit.
http://restorationpartssource.com/store ... einfo.html It's states 5/16", so it may not work.
Attachments
Lares kit.jpg

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”